cold water tank size

I want to take away a (non-loadbearing) wall from my stairwell to open things out a little and put in an upper ballastrade.

Thing is, theres a dirty great 50 gallon cold water tank straddling the two walls.

The last house I was in had a combination hot water tank with a cold water tank header. The whole thing was very compact.

Could I dispense with the big cw tank and put one of these in instead?

Why would anyone need such a large amount of water sitting over their heads anyway?

I live in the west of Scotland, so not exactly needing to store up water for a non-rainy day (sand, arabs etc....).

Jim ps - no combi suggestions - my water flow rate is only slightly higher than my own...

Reply to
JJ

50 Gallons won't actually last that long if the mains water supply gets interrupted for some reason.

Given the average usage, you'd need to store rather more than 50 gallons against non rainy days - even in the West of Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Combination cylinders is the way for you. Where is the current cylinder? Look at:

(make square stirage vessels)
(make heat banks and storage vessels to size)
(make thermal stores and stioarge vessels)
(make cylindrical heat banks and storage vessels)
(make heat banks and storage vessels)
(make cylindrical thermal stores and storage vessels. They are quite cheap)
(make cylindrical thermal stores and storage vessels)

Reply to
top gear

Oops, wrong nom-de-plum Dr. ?

Reply to
John Rumm

That's a bit to be going on with! Thanks for all the links.

Jim

Reply to
JJ

ROFL - beat me to it John.

Reply to
Grunff

Some more info required. What type of showers do you have? Type of cylinder? What is the pressure of your cold water mains? What is the flow (it may be fine for just a shower).

A combination cylinder with an integrated shower coil to give high pressure showers may be the answer. Or, a combi only doing the shower to give high pressure showers and a cheap combination cylinder.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The cops use handwriting experts to detect this type of thing. I guess that this is what they learn in kindergarten. It's not even necessary to have the handwriting. The spelling, grammar and style are unmistakable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Since it's the same "top gear" who on 2 Fenruary was advising that someone should get a heat bank or thermal store, as a solution for a leaking cold water tank, I doubt that the identity is in question.

Reply to
Steve Firth