cold water pressure

I have compared my neighbours cold water pressure with mine by the very exact science of just having a look and running my hand under our respective garden taps and his seems stronger than mine. So I had a look to make sure that the stop c*ck in the drive was fully open, which it was, but I also noticed that the hole I had to stick my hand down was in about 4 inches of water. Now no water has been gushing out, cos I would have noticed, but I wonder if it should be in any water and if I have what i believe to be a small leak will the water co fix it for free or is it my responsibility?

Reply to
neilalastair

It's possible that it's just water (rain?) that's got in, but not back out.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The responsibilty has already been talked about.

But if you think you have a leak, make sure nothing is drawing water in your property (turn off internal stopcock?), take length of something light but solid about 3/8" dia/sq. Place one end against the external pipe or stop c*ck the other end against the flappy bit in front of your ear channel and fold that over gently. If you can hear a sort of hissy/roary noise ("singing" is the term) you may well have a leak but you could be hearing water being drawn of else where. Try the same against the internal c*ck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For some reason I didnt think about rainwater, which it probably was.

Timed a litre jug at 4.5 sec which i guess looks like about 13 litre/min. not very high i dont think. Got a thermostatic mixer shower to install wondering if it will be up to the job. Its a new bosch boiler which claims to dish out at 9 lpm.

Reply to
neilalastiar

In message , neilalastair writes

It is your responsibility, however, many (all?) water co. will check for and fix leaks in the supply pipe for free. so maybe worth checking.

Reply to
chris French