Cold radiator

Okay, this one's as old as the hills but it's happened to me and I'm stumped.

Just finished fitting small three radiators in the main bedroom, replacing one large one near the window. I did this effectively by "teeing" the pipe (it's dual-pipe feed and return, rather than single pipe in and out).

Two radiators work blisteringly well - they're too hot too touch. Third radiator, at the "end" of the system (ie that's not tee-ed) is warm but not hot. It's warm at the top but cold at the bottom.

The feed pipe going into it is too hot to touch, the thermostat on the rad is hot too, and the nub after the thermostat on the radiator itself is too hot to touch.

The return valve and pipe and at room temperature.

This indicates a problem with the return valve but I'm loathe to bleed the system AGAIN and muck around. It's also puzzling because radiators and valves are all new. Yes, I've checked to make sure I haven't got the pipes mixed up. All other radiators in house working fine and system at 1.5bar.

Any advice?

Reply to
peak man

Have you balanced them? See FAQ for details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How did you balance the new radiators?

Did you balance new radiators?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, I didn't. I just turned the therm and return valves all the way to open throughout, assuming that this would be enough.

Clearly it wasn't, as I proved to myself. To rule out the possibility of blockage, I turned off all the other radiators feeding into the problem one. It then instantly got hot. Okay... so I then turned its return valve to around half way and turned the other radiators back on, with their return valves set to approximately half way.

Bingo. All three radiators work fine now, and have done so for the past hour. I'm going to have to drain the system anyway because of a slight leak on one of my elbow joins (not bad for first-time solderer!).

Reply to
peak man