Cold concrete ok

Thanks for the replies to my query regarding pouring concrete in cold weather. Anyhow, this morning I had the concrete poured. The pump arrived on time, the concrete was half an hour late. The first thing the readymix driver did was to ask for a cheque or wouldn't provide the concrete to the pump. I hadn't even got a chance to say hello at this point. The readymix had a 125 slump, though an 85 slump had been requested, but the pump guy assured me this was fine. We poured 5m cubed in about twenty minutes. I checked the temp of the concrete and discovered it was about as cold as tap water on a cold winter's morning. After levelling, I didn't really see the point of the insulating such a cold mix, but I did so anyway with 25mm polystyrene and some rolls of loft insulation in plastic sheets. I covered the whole lote with tarp.

Question: will this mix reach a good strength or did I make a mistake in accepting it?

TIA Bhadan.

Reply to
bhads

If it doesn't freeze it will be fine, just take longer to reach full strength. In curing concrete generates heat: your insulation helps keep this in.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Bhadan,

This would concern me "The readymix had a 125 slump, though an 85 slump had been requested". You have a lot more water in there than you asked for - and the more water you have in concrete the weaker it is!

That's why, when you ask a readymix driver to add water to the mix, he gets you to sign his delivery notes to that effect - to protect his bum if something goes wrong - like the concrete failing a crush test - did you get him to sign the delivery note to the effect that HE said the added water would be OK?

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

It should be fine, sounds as though you've plenty of insulation there.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm no expert but found this web site for professional yankee pourers last year

Googling for "cold weather curing of concrete" brings back a lot of stuff. The main thing seems to be to keep it damp for a lot longer if its cold but eventually there's no loss of strength.

bland

Reply to
bland

You did the right thing ... in my local it is due to hit -2 tonight, and you really don't want the prodcut to freeze before it has gone off.

Leave it coverred unless sun is out tomorrow

Reply to
Rick

The keeping it damp is to ensure full set, concrete sets by chemical reaction not by drying out. I allways damp down fresh concrete each day for first week ...it needs water to reach optimum set, excess will not arm it after first set has taken place.

Reply to
Rick