coke bottle thread adaptor

I'd like to experiment with using a 2L coke bottle as a pressure vessel but I haven't worked out how best to make a leakproof plumbed connection to the bottle.

Does anyone know of an adaptor that would let me connect some flexible pipe (10mm ID say) to the neck of the bottle?

The thread seems to be common for lots of bottles now but I haven't found a suitable adaptor yet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Something like this:-

Through a hole in the cap, with a couple of rubber washers to seal it?

Reply to
John Williamson

Nice idea but a bit too big I think. I'd prefer a readymolded device if such a thing exists. A bit like this.

A bolt in tyre valve would fit but then I'd have to find a way of making a water-tight seal to the tyre valve. Ideally I'd want something that I can just push a tube onto and secure with a jubilee clip.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The usual way to do this is to fix a hose tail through the bottle cap.

For example:

You will need to find a suitable back nut and sealing washers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nice, but I think the connections would be just too small. I want it to act as a pressure reservoir to prevent rapid pump cycling in a motorhome pumped water system. The exisiting system uses a pressure switch which was okay with the old pump but a new uprated pump is causing problems and the recommended solution it to fit a pressure accumulator

Of course I could just spend lots of dosh and buy the recommended one but it's more fun to try and do it on the cheap. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yep, that seems to be the tricky bit.

I'm leaning towards the tyre valve approach (as this chap has done).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have a look here - a range of horsetails and adapters.

I would use a 1/4" BSP tail through the cap. A reducer or back nut on the inside to secure it and appropriate reducers/tails to connect to your existing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Firstly, a 2 litre pop bottle is pretty flimsy, whilst it will handle the couple of bar pressure in a motorhomes water system, can it handle the vibrations and movement from driving down the road... basically if it fails, you will pump the contents of the water tank into the living area,

secondly, the 'proper' accumulator has a diaphragm inside it, water on one side, air on the other, it's the compressible air the other side of the diaphragm that acts as the buffer, Last one i bought for the cold side of the water system in my motorhome was fiamma branded, and cost me about £14, looked similar to the one you showed, but blue,

Problem with that one you linked to, they have mentioned 'boat' in the listing, and as soon as you try and sell something to the boaty types you double or tripple the price, and get away with it, motorhome part prices are expensive enough, but boat parts... whilst often the exact same thing, are just a piss take.

When i fitted the eberspacher based central heating and hot water tank, i fitted a 7 litre hot water accumulator to the hot pipework (the 20 litre calorifier needed it to stop the hot water being pushed back down the cold pipework when the tank was heated) The 7 litre expansion vessle was only 20 quid,

Not sure where you live, but have you heard of places like magnums, O'leary's etc, they are based in grimsby and hull, but there are a couple of similar places down south... cant remember the names now... franks caravans is one i'm sure, they sell motorhome parts at more realistic prices, and sell the stuff for home builders of motorhomes, and they also buy up last seasons stock from manufacturers when they change things in their builds, so you can get things a lot cheaper from them.

Reply to
Gazz

well fizzy drinks bottles already take similar pressures and have screw on caps.

Hardly rocket science to drill through the cap and mount up a gas tight fitment to one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2 litre PET bottles are really remarkably robust. Scratch them and you'll be in trouble but as long as the hose connector isn't rigidly fixed to the van so it can vibrate with the bottle it'll probably survive quite a lot. The lid will probably fail before the bottle.

OTOH for 14 quid I might well go with the proper solution :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Interesting site! I'm surprised quite a few of the things on it aren't more expensive. I have a feeling I'll be ordering some stuff soon.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Have you ever tried jumping on one? They are incredibly strong. Yes, they can get pierced but that's easy to prevent.

I guess that the diaphragm stops the loss of the air cushion caused by the air getting dissolved in the water but it would be easy to "recharge" periodically.

showed, but blue,

Well that might be the easiest solution! Not as much fun though. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"Firefox can't find the server at

"

sigh.. looks like my ISP is having routing issues.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

3x 1 litre bottles? Gas flows far better than water.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed - one bottle with a hole drilled through the cap and a car tyre valve pulled into it, full of compressed air; connected by a double ended car pump hose to another bottle with a valve in the base, full of water and a hose connected to the cap end; with a valve on the end of the hose makes a very good water pistol, with excellent range and continuous flow.

Not that I'm admitting to taking such devices to Run To The Sun many moons ago!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Might find something in the spare parts for the Zounds bike air horn.

The MK I had an aluminium bottle to hold the compressed air. The Mk II had a plastic bottle which looks like a drinks bottle. ISTR reading of an upgrade to a 2 litre coke bottle. But I could be wrong.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

TBH if you must use a pop bottle, try to get hold of a 1.5 litre reuseable bottle from Germany, they use the deposit system and re-use the plastic bottles many times over there, thus the bottles are much much thicker than the flimsy disposable ones we get over here....i still get reminded of the time i braked hard after taking my mum shopping in her fiat panda, a bottle of pop rolled forwards and hit the rear seat runner, which are stupidly exposed in that car, 'ppppppiiiiiiiissssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh' went the contents all over the boot.

Reply to
Gazz

replying to Tim+, James Richard wrote: Buy them at bottlebushing.com

Reply to