Cobbles

What is the best way to relay cobbles for driveway. (cobbles rather than cobble sets!) At present the cobbles are well bedded into non organic earth and have been there for a very long time, hence the ground underneath should be well compacted. I was considering lifting the cobbles then bedding them into 4:1 slightly damp sharp sand cement mix. Is this the correct way? and if so what is the best way to clean any cement off the cobbles when finished.

Reply to
Stuart

This is what you need.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

No it isn't!......I had already looked at various pages on the internet and was now interested in the views and opinions of those with experiance of laying cobbles! But thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious!

Reply to
Stuart

I've watched it being done. He laid the stones in concrete that came maybe only 1/3 or 1/2 way up the stones. After it was all laid and set he poured some relatively sloppy cement mix in between them to fill up to the top. I guess this is a way to avoid getting cement on them.

To remove cement: when freshly dried, use a stiff brush. When hardened, a rotary wire brush, applying HCl to any remnants. I dont think I'd use HCl on cobbles though, as it will attack the wanted mortar too.

Re your mix question, no idea.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton