Cobblers

Hi all,

Daughter was recently given a pair of second hand but nice ('fashionable I'm told) all leather shoes. It could be that they were in fashion from the last time around because although only lightly used the outer soles seem to be falling off the welt, as if the original adhesive had just failed somehow?

Now, in the spirit of d-i-y, can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive for re-attaching said leather sole to the leather welt / mid sole please?

I was going to go for good ole Evo-Stick impact adhesive but I wondered if there was something better please?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

evostik is good there are however better ones - polyurethanes I think

Our cobbler sands all the shit off the leather before soling them with rubber by the way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

-
Reply to
Mark

+1 That's the stuff!
Reply to
Roger Mills

There used to be a wonderful dunlop adhesive for this, but not seen it for ages.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah, yes, I have seen them doing such (big belt sander)?

I hadn't thought of putting a rubber sole over the leather but that might be a good idea if the basic repair goes ok.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks guys, I'll get some of that and give it a test on some old shoes first (and to get the feel of it etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It was probably too good and has gone they way of such things.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I was walking around the City seeing several customers, and a piece of stiching failed on my suit shoes, leaving a large bit of decorative leather flapping around. Being as it was on the side right where the shoe bends as you walk, didn't think there was much chance of doing anything about it, but popped into a newsagent, got a small tube of superglue, and stuck it back on. That was a year ago, and it's still stuck, very much to my surprise.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could be down to the solvent being now banned. Evostick isn't as good as it once was.

Paint stripper no longer works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Creosote no longer cures colds and kills crabs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nope, too true ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hehe.

I love(ed) the smell of creosote, fresh Tarmac, petrol, whiteboard markers ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yeah, I've done similar even where the sole has separated from the welt and it's been fine forever.Not sure how well something that 'hard' would work over a larger area like a complete leather outer sole.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

ISTR I tried paint stripper once, many decades ago. After that I went back to the blowlamp.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I decided to save up and buy vintage brandy instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think Jeyes Fluid is as good as it used to be, either.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon