"Coated with TiO2 for global warming"?

I bought some fascia to replace my old wooden stuff. It says on it "Coated with TiO2 for global warming".

All I can find is this article:

when my fascia expires, am I to crumble it up and throw it into the upper atmosphere somehow?

[Note I don't believe in global warming at all, I'm just curious as to what they're trying to do].
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

with TiO2 for global warming".

atmosphere somehow?

they're trying to do].

I think the idea is to add the "antidote" to global warming to a range of manufactured goods so as to provide slow release mechanism for decades into the future as the items degrade. It's all bollocks of course but someone will get rich out of it.

Reply to
Graham.

with TiO2 for global warming".

>>> So when my fascia expires, am I to crumble it up and throw it into the upper atmosphere somehow?

they're trying to do].

The TiO2 in the coating acts as a catalyst to break down pollution products in the air. It's good for reducing pollution near roads, as its not far from the source.

It works on a similar principle to the Pilkington Active Glass windows, which are self cleaning, using light and a catalyst to break down dirt and films.

It doesn't do much if anything to reduce CO2, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

Titanium dioxide is the white pigment in all white paint. It hasn't noticeably affected global warming in the manner claimed. Hence more bullshit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

with TiO2 for global warming".

they're trying to do].

If what you say is true, they should be advertising it as self cleaning, that would make more people buy it!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

with TiO2 for global warming".

>>> So when my fascia expires, am I to crumble it up and throw it into the upper atmosphere somehow?

they're trying to do].

Judging by the link above, it's used everywhere already.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Well I believe in Global Warming but as it has happened before when we were not about then I think we are flattering ourselves by believing we are the only reason it happens. Nature is far more powerful than we are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Anyone who thinks we can burn billions of tons of fossil fuels every year and not affect the atmosphere is being incredibly naive.

Reply to
Bob Martin

That is not the point.

The point is what effect changing the atmosphere by 0.01% will actually have on anything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anyone who thinks it will have a greater effect than what nature can do is equally naive.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Anyone who thinks it will never have a greater effect that what nature can do is equally naive.

No one knows or can know. The atmosphere is a chaotic system. Who knows how big (or small) a nudge it's needs to send it off in some not particularly desireable direction for us?

It just seems very odd that mean global temperatures have taken to a rapid rise after being fairly stable for 10,000 years a rise that just happens to coincide with us dumping all manner of crap into the atmosphere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It would be, if that were in fact the case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It could be down to a butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world. Time to eradicate them all with DDT.

Reply to
The Other Mike

they're trying to do].

I don't believe in tables, doesn't stop them from existing.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

they're trying to do].

Sheep!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It would be odd if it were the case. Actually they haven't been stable for ten thousand years. They have been chaotically changing around a mean and the latest change is nothing special. And seems to have run its course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That depends on how you define "stable". The earth has been considerably warmer for far longer periods in the past.

The warming trend in the last few decades doesn't look like noise in an otherwise 10,000 or so year stable average.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, no, this was because a butterfly _didn't_ flap its wings. If it had summer would have been normal :P

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ