coal effect gas fire

I've got a coal effect gas fire already fitted in my fireplace, but the surround is quite nasty, and I've got a really nice cast iron Victorian fireplace which would look good in its place. The house is of the right period and has a proper chimney, originally for a coal fire. I'm not aiming to go back to a coal fire though.

To fit the Victorian fireplace the gas appliance needs to be set back about 7 cm. Are there any issues I need to know about with regard to getting the ventilation right? Up to now it's been set on some bricks cemented into the original fireplace but coming up only to the top of the appliance. There's about 300 mm of space above that to the top of the firepace opening which is sealed off by a sheet of Formica., and then a modern wooden mantlepiece and surround in front. If the Victorian fireplace is airtight apart from the vent from the gas fire is this OK?

As to the gas supply, it will need to be altered. I plan to do this myself but I intend to get a Corgi plumber to check it out. At present a 15 mm supply comes to an 8mm reducer followed by a gas tap set below the floor boards and then on to the appliance. The gas tap will have to be moved but is it OK to leave it under the floor boards providing it's accessible?

Reply to
andyv

The manufacturer's installation & servicing manual for the fire should answer much of what you've just asked about. If you haven't got them, get a copy (the manufacturer will often send out a copy on request, or you may be able to find them online). No competent gas installer will touch the installation without them.

And I would get your CORGI/Gas Safe installer on board _before_ you change anything or you may just find they check it out as dangerous and slap a notice on it!

Reply to
YAPH

Thanks John. This is eminently sensible. I'm not sure though that I can find out who the manufacturer of the fire is. It's maybe 10-15 years old. I probably still have the manual for a gas fire in another house which may give some pointers though.

Reply to
andyv

There should be a data plate hidden away somewhere that gives the fire's make & model number, and a Gas Council (GC) number and other info.

Reply to
YAPH