Coal Affect Gas Fire & Prefab Flue

I was asking a few weeks back about fitting one of these coal affect gas fires to a prefabricated flue but I don't remember any responses. Somebody out there must have one of these fitted to a prefab flue.

20 odd years ago the brick chimney was taken down and a false chimney breast added using an aluminium prefab flue. A stock brick fireplace was built and a conventional gas fire fitted. I have taken down the false chimney breast as I am doing a complete replaster, lath & plaster ripped out and old thick lime plaster on the walls taken off. I had a slight mishap with the fireplace. As it was not tied into the wall it became dislodged. I thought about rebuilding it and tieing it into the wall but have now decided to build a complete floor to ceiling false chimney breast then fit one of these fancy pre-made fireplaces. I figure it will be a lot easier and the fire should fit easier. The trouble is I can't find any decent information about the prep that I need to do this. It would seem that the only thing that I can do is buy the fire and fireplace and hope for the best. I had intended to get a CORGI installer to do the fire installation but I need to know what preparation I need to do. Does anybody know of any good sites or suppliers in Herts or North London. Failing that can I get engage a CORGI installer now and get him to determine what needs to be done by me in terms of preparation.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Most gas fires are designed to work with one or more flue systems. A 225mm square hole in a brick wall (known as a Class I flue) being the most popular. They also require certain size and layout of fire place.

I therefore suggest you look for the fire you want and then see what it requires. IME (but I only fit a few each year) fires which can use a twin wall or enamelled metal pipe type flues tend to the of the type which looks like an imitation black leaded cast iron wood burning stove.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett