Clutch pad material for cheap winch

I bought a very cheap towbar mounting electric winch from ebay, and am trying to modify it back so that the clutch works correctly.

The clutch consists of two 4 1/4 inch steel disks with pad material glued on, on either side of a large gear plate. The disks are keyed to the shaft, and grip the gear plate when the plates are closed together.

I think the clutch has at some time been left engaged and one of the pads had stuck to the gear plate. Prising it apart has not gone terribly well, so ideally I would like to replace the clutch pad material.

Does anyone know what this is called and whether it can be bought anywhere? It is about 1/8" thick, very slightly compressible, grey material with a red coating on the unglued (ie active) side.

Reply to
Bill

My first thought is motorbike parts stockists. You might do ok with somethi= ng much simpler though. In Cuba I gather they use multiple layers of emulsi= on paint for clutch linings, and in low power devices I've seen felt used. = It might even be worth trying thick card.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No, but google might help: Or a phone call.

The Natural Philosopher

Would the friction pads from a Scott (or other make) stabiliser be any good? You might get some of those from a caravan/towing accessory supplier.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The original name of the material was Ferasbestos. However since Ferodo no longer have exclusive rights the more generic term "friction lining" has come into use.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Try

might be able to scrounge a sample for 'evaluation' in your 'research project'

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You should not have to travel too far to find a company which relines commercial vehicle brakes and clutches. The linings are probably glued on, they will pop the disks in a suitably hot oven and they will drop off, and they should be able to provide and glue on a good material when you tell them the application. It won't be as expensive as you might think.

Reply to
newshound

Many thanks to all who replied.

I have spoken to the Friction Technology company. They seem extremely jolly, friendly and helpful, and I now eagerly await the postman's knock.

Reply to
Bill