Cloud 9 underlay - opinions ?

ISTR this has been mentioned before, and at the time it got some good feedback - i've recently moved and need to get a few rooms done, so thought it might be worth asking a couple of questions about it :-}

What's it made of ? (I think it's a polyurethane foam, but not entirely sure)

Has been anything else been released that might be preferable at a similar price point ?

If anyone's had it fitted, how durable is it, i.e. has it flattened / lost its' bounce ?

TIA :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Recycled poly foam. That is off cuts from manufacturing etc chipped and then bonded together between thin plastic covers.

Donno

The Boys bedroom was done with it several years ago, still nice and bouncy. Also used in a barn bedroom fine in there but that room doesn't get daily use like the Boys one does.

I've had enough of clearing the mess that rubber based underlays end up as as not to want to fit the rubber stuff ever again. The poly foam under lays are much lighter and cleaner to handle and if the core does fall apart into dust it is sandwiched bewteen two sheets so should be easier to contain on removal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My Dad owns a carpet business and I think Cloud 9 is the only underlay they use, we used to have Tredaire but now all of it is Cloud 9 which apparently is the best.

Reply to
David

chips of foam bonded together - plastic membrane one side and plastic plus paper on the other.

Not seen anything mentioned - but that does not mean there hasn't. It better than the waffle stuff IMO, and probably equal to the crumb rubber in feel (the latter may be better for noise suppression though).

When I used it seemed quite resilient. Certainly easy to lay.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Colin Wilson writes

I've used Tredaire Dreamwalk to good effect which was, if anything, a bit too thick, plenty durable though.

Got it here:

's on the PU Carpet Underlay section, they do cloud 9 too and have good data and advice, including tog ratings and noise attenuation. Check out the clearance link on that page for cheap grippers.

Reply to
fred

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

There are different grades of cloud9 with different prices no doubt, I'm going to go for the high thermal insulated grade ion the lounge as I have a suspended floor and it's cold in Winter when the wind is blowing. Don

Reply to
Donwill

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

We have Cloud 9 (9mm version not 11mm) in all 4 bedrooms, landing and staircase. Fitted last year so cannot comment on durability etc, but it is very good. Before the Cloud 9, we had the cheap and nasty green foam underlay that the house builders put down. It's like chalk and cheese, the cloud 9 feels a 100 times better. When we get the downstairs carpets replaced in a few months I will be putting 11mm Cloud 9 down.

Reply to
Slider