Clothes dryer attached to ceiling

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

Anyone?

TIA.

Check the small advertisements in the back of most home decorating magazines. That's where I found mine. Cast-iron hardware, enameled in a choice of colours, and smooth, natural finish wooden bars.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

bought one from them about 12 years ago. Excellent quality!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just remember that you'll be adding to the humidity in the garage, if you have tools or machinery in there it might affect them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ours came from John Lewis.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's your starter for 10.

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big doorway .

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Yes. My pulley is mounted over the Rayburn in the kitchen. Stuff I hang in the garage takes forever to dry - stuff over the Rayburn dries surprisingly quickly.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The garage has the central heating boiler in it so there's a little background heating. It's worth a try.

Thanks to the other respondents for names of suppliers: appreciated.

Typical Usenet, eh? A few responses telling you what you wanted to know, but more telling you why you shouldn't do it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Argos used to sell a kit. Proper cast iron and decent pulleys. Wood slats were a bit short, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This has been fixed in Microsoft Windows Vista.

Reply to
theintrepidfox

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 +0000 someone who may be F wrote this:-

me as the fourth result
me as the first result

David Hansen

gave me as the fourth result

gave me as the first result
for that. I usually prefer to ask about things like this as often someone will offer advice based on personal experience. It's better than just taking pot luck and happened earlier in the thread.

|!When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc |!etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a |!rope and pulley to raise and lower it. |! |!I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the |!indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

Lakelandlimited

have one in the kitchen like all grandmothers and June would not be without it. The wooden rails are almost worn our, I will have to make some more soon.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

This the sort of thing?

These are (colloquially) called "pulleys" in Scotland, (may well be known by that name in England too but I don't know)
Prices appear to be in the £30-£50 range but the wooden slats will need replaced eventually (probably last the life of the "pulley" (ceiling clothes airer) though) so a timber merchants for them. A piece of rope from virtually anywhere and (if memory serves) a twin wheel and a single wheel pulley which should be available from either, one of the sheds or a traditional ironmongers if one exists near you. The only trouble would seem to be the "spreader bars" but sure you could get them from a builders salvage yard. Maybe you could source an entire "pulley" (ceiling clothes airer) from them. May well be a lot cheaper to buy from a yard but beware of the "oh you can't get these new you know, very rare that, it'll cost" attitude of SOME yard owners.

Reply to
soup

Aaaah ! Had one in our kitchen (In England) when I was a lad (a long time ago). It was called "the pulley". My Mum was Scottish - that explains things.

Thanks :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

|!F wrote: |! |!> I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the |!> indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold |!> nowadays. |! |!This the sort of thing? |!

|!|! These are (colloquially) called "pulleys" in Scotland, (may well be |!known by that name in England too but I don't know) |!
or kreels in northern England.

|! Prices appear to be in the ?30-?50 range but the wooden slats will |!need replaced eventually (probably last the life of the "pulley" |!(ceiling clothes airer) though) so a timber merchants for them. A piece |!of rope from virtually anywhere and (if memory serves)

Sash cord is traditional here if you can still get it. Lasts 40+ years.

|!a twin wheel and |!a single wheel pulley which should be available from either, one of the |!sheds or a traditional ironmongers if one exists near you. The only |!trouble would seem to be the "spreader bars" but sure you could get them |!from a builders salvage yard. Maybe you could source an entire "pulley" |!(ceiling clothes airer) from them. May well be a lot cheaper to buy |!from a yard but beware of the "oh you can't get these new you know, |!very rare that, it'll cost" attitude of SOME yard owners.

Lakelandlimited sell them.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Aah! Nostalgia: not what it used to be!

Thanks for all the memories and sources...

We had a four line retractable clothes line. Hanging space is the whole length of the room and it's less obtrusive when not in use.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Ah, but will it take the weight of a load of wet washing? And can it be lowered to a comfortable level while it is being loaded? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager