Close coupled WC Doughnut ring

Continuing with my WC project, I need to fit a cistern to a clos

coupled toilet pan.

I got the WC Close Coupling Kit, from Screwfix, 17405, of which I onl needed the doughnut ring, or sealing diaphragm.

My problem is that it is too thick and even tightening the wing nuts t the maximum the gap between the pan and the cistern is too wide, a least 1 cm.

Then pan I am replacing was attached to the cistern with a muc narrower gap and had a much thinner foam washer.

Am I using the wrong sealing diaphragm?

Just to make sure, I am putting the side of the doughnut ring wit concentric cylindrical steps facing the cistern and the central outle from the cistern into those steps. Is this correct?

I am asking because putting the ring the other side actually makes th gap narrower, but perhaps less water tight.

Lastly, is it better to put some silicone sealant around the ring?

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

The close coupled sealing kits fit the majority of close coupled WCs. Often the plate is corroded so the other parts are needed.

There are a few models around which use a larger but much thinner ring like a small thinnish quoit. No doubt there are other odd ball units around too.

Silicone grease (not sealant) is your friend. Yes the new doughnut often is quite a bit thicker than the old tired (and presumably defective) unit. One you have done up the wing nuts the cistern should be in the right place. If the doughnut os the wrong type it might not be. The outer curved part of the doughnut fits the pan.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thank you for your thorough and clear explanation.

I was also thinking of grease, rather than sealant. It makes sense tha I just want to facilitate the ring squeezing into the hole on the pa but let the ring do the water sealing.

I will try again with the ring that I have. Once the cistern in fixe to the wall it should be pretty stable and the gap should not b noticeable.

Regards,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

It sometimes happens that the new position of the cistern is a little different from the original. I recommend that you try tightening the wing nuts to a firm hand pressure. The pour a bucket or two of water into the cistern and test it for leaks either continuously from the syphon unit or during operation. If all is well then secure the cistern to the wall and connect the supply (and maybe overflow). Sometimes the overflow need to be installed as the cistern is lowered onto the pan. HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett