Close couple fitting

I am going to exchange a conventional swan neck typ etoile for a close couple one, the waste pipe is set in concrete (downstairs bathroom) is there much difference in the waste centres?

Reply to
Richard

Yes, especially if the pipe goes through the floor, rather than the wall. Nothing that a bit of ingenuity and careful choice of replacement can't sort out, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The waste pipe for a pan with a conventional wall-mounted low-level cistern connected by a J-shaped pipe is several inches further out from the wall than is required for a close-coupled cistern.

My F-I-L's 60's bungalow has a glazed waste pipe a long way from the wall, set into a concrete floor. I have often wondered how I would go about replacing the toilet with one with a close-coupled cistern.

Would Christian care to elaborate on 'ingenuity'?

Reply to
Set Square

That would depend on the specific circumstances and how far the pipe was wrong and in what direction, what space is available, the parts available (has a specific model of toilet been ordered by an SO, for example).

Depending on the specific problems, the ingenuity could involve (a) sticking Xmm of celotex on the wall and reboarding, thus moving the toilet forwards or (b) turning toilet around 90 degrees to different wall and using a corrugated tube into a 90 degree bend or (c) finding an S-trap toilet bowl.

I decided to use the corrugated pipe when redoing my bathroom with a concealed cistern flush pipe model instead of a (green) close coupled type. I'm glad it won't be me removing it in the future, though. I bet it will stink!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I was thinking of creating a tiled box section coming out to the toilet creating a shelf just above the toilet cistern.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks. The boxing option is the only one which would work in my F-I-L's case, since the outlet is too far from any other wall to turn the pan round. I really need a pan which discharges directly underneath the working part. Don't suppose anyone makes any like this?!

The other option would be to dig up the floor, and install a new plastic soil pipe much nearer to the wall. This may not be too hard since the existing pipe connects into a (not very deep) manhole within a foot or so of the other side of the wall.

Has anyone tried this approach.

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, but if you do this, consider fitting a concealed cistern type. It might be a bit more expensive, but it looks so much neater and easier to clean and provides the shelf space in a more useful location, closer to the bowl, ideal for 18 packs of toilet roll...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you've got the space to move it forward without encroaching on the door etc. do consider the concealed cistern solution. It looks neat, and distinctly bodge free, too.

That's certainly one approach. Probably quite cheap too, but might require a certain lack of trepidation. I've never dealt with sewers myself.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle