Cloned a human

Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now I wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" could be taken literally in a few years.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:01:39 GMT, "BigWallop"

I suppose we can hope that they don't use IMM as a master..... ;)
PoP

LOL !!! Yesser ee !!! Let's hope that mould was broken many years ago. :-))

"There's enough material here for an entire conference!! "
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP wrote: :: On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:01:39 GMT, "BigWallop"
:: ::: Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now I ::: wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" could ::: be taken literally in a few years. :: :: I suppose we can hope that they don't use IMM as a master..... ;) :: :: PoP ::
DUCK......, there's a Fatwah winging its way! ;-)

Well if I don't read it I won't have to panic. And IMM remains killfiled for all time here.
PoP

You obviously don't want perfection.

My mould was broken while I was still in it, I think. :-))

Well, seemingly he completed the current known process for replacing DNA... 99.99999999 percent of all clone attempts fail miserably, and those that succeed produce malformed animals who tend not to live long. No reason humans should be any different.... Most experts agree cloning is currently, and for a long time in the future, impossible, simply because noone understands how the whole dna replication thing works. Scientists are just cutting and pasting to see what happens.
Dave wrote:
:: ::: Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now I ::: wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" could ::: be taken literally in a few years. ::: ::: :: :: Well, seemingly he completed the current known process for replacing :: DNA... :: 99.99999999 percent of all clone attempts fail miserably, and those :: that succeed produce malformed animals who tend not to live long. No :: reason humans should be any different.... Most experts agree cloning :: is currently, and for a long time in the future, impossible, simply :: because noone understands how the whole dna replication thing works. :: Scientists are just cutting and pasting to see what happens.
It'll give a whole new slant on the "Chicken & Egg" question!

I saw a report or documentary (can't remember which) on Dolly the Sheep some time ago.
One of the things that the scientists were concerned about was that Dolly had developed arthritis at about 6 years of age (IIRC), which is not normally a problem in sheep until nearer the end of their natural life.
What the scientists surmised was that the cloning process began the new life at the age that the parent was when the cloning operation took place, because (again, IIRC) the mother which provided the material for cloning was well into adulthood.
So if this is true then it is entirely possible that this dickhead who has performed this cloning operation will produce a baby which has a physical age of some 30 years old (I don't know the actual age of the father in this case but they did say that the material was taken from a skin cell on his body).
If so, by the time this baby grows to 30 years old then it might need to be applying for its bus pass.
Personally I greatly appreciate the enthusiasm this good doctor has for helping life along. I think they should round him up and then use him as a laboratory guinea pig for new drugs and things - that should keep his enthusiasm high.
PoP

Don't get carried away. It's 97%. Sheep, pigs, goats, mice, cow and cat clones have all been sucessfully bred. And hopefully the technique will eventually bring back recently extinct animals.
Suz wrote:
:: :::: Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now :::: I wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" :::: could be taken literally in a few years. :::: :::: ::: ::: Well, seemingly he completed the current known process for ::: replacing DNA... ::: 99.99999999 percent of all clone attempts fail miserably, and those ::: that succeed produce malformed animals who tend not to live long. :: :: Don't get carried away. It's 97%. Sheep, pigs, goats, mice, cow :: and cat clones have all been sucessfully bred.
with some hideous consequences!
And hopefully the technique will eventually bring back recently extinct animals.
with even more hideous consequences!!!!!!

I find it difficult to believe. He claims to have cloned a human from skin cells. Skin cells offer poor prospects for cloning because the cells are highly differentiated. The basal cells in the skin (a long way down) may be suitable because they are dividing rapidly but no one has seen much promise in cloning from those in any animal species let alone mammals.
As with all science, not impossible, but it sounds far fetched.