clicking pipes

We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

Reply to
nigel

I presume this is a thermal exapansion/contraction effect. A simple fix might be to run the CH system with a lower boiler temperature (the boiler stat, not the room stat). The rads will be cooler of course, but it might still be enough to heat the house plus the clicking time should be reduced becuase there is less change in the pipe length due to the expansion. Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

On 7 Nov 2006 08:27:25 -0800 someone who may be "nigel" wrote this:-

Small bits of carpet, placed under the pipes so they slide more easily. The clicking is caused by the pipes jerking slightly as they contract.

Reply to
David Hansen

In our house we had copper pipes running in notches on the top of joists for a long run and lots of annoying clicking.

I replaced the pipes with Hep2O (plastic). Not a click since.

David

Reply to
vortex2

The message from "nigel" contains these words:

Bit of felt under where each pipe bears on the joist.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
nigel