(clear) water coming theough bath overflow....

a steady trickle, cold clear water - more so after a bath.... have tried usual drain cleaner, foamgel etc, even the long wire thingy down the overflow, comes back up the plug..

no leaks seen elsewhere.. i am lost!

Reply to
lastchance

Stick some food color in a half-full bath. Empty, collect the water, and examine in a white bowl. Is there any colour?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:48:18 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "lastchance" strung together this:

Coming out where? A bit of a semi-coherent question would help! Leaking around it maybe?

Reply to
Lurch

urm, the overflow hole! by the taps...

tried dye test, still clear water.

Reply to
lastchance

maybe someone has fed toilet overflow to the bath overflow? Check in the toilet cistern for this.

Reply to
BillV

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:28:48 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "lastchance" strung together this:

Yes I know where the overflow is smartarse, is the water coming out of it into the bath, through the drain at the bottom, down the back of it, clues please.

Reply to
Lurch

I had exactly this issue last week on an old flat my son has purchased to (ultimately) live in. We turned on the main water supply and noticed water trickling from the bath overflow and onward down the plug hole. As part of the plan is to replace the bathroom suite, energetic removal of the bath surround ensued :) Turns out that the overflow from the hot water header tank is connected to the bath overflow in a 'tee' arrangement on the way through. This is a 'proper' arrangement insomuch as the fitting is kosher and not a bodge set up. There is still the standard overflow connection between the bath overflow and plug as you would expect, so why it has been plumbed like this is a mystery. A quick replacement of the ball in the hot water tank sorted the water issue. ......now to replace the bath :)

HTH

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Hands up to confess that I did this once ;) In my defence, it was only meant to be temporary...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

This is not uncommon in flats. You might find it's the toilet cistern overflow and/or one of your header tanks. Overflows are required to produce some visible indication when they are running, and this double bath overflow method is one way of doing this in a flat. Quickly makes a mess of the bath in hard water areas unless you fix the leaking ball- valve.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

100% spot on Andrew. Spent the long weekend in the son's flat and after investigation both the hot water header tank and the toilet both run into the bath overflow.

That's a new entry in the book of experience.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I missed the original post - in my case the toilet had a blue toilet cleaner disolving in the cistern and that stained the bath. It also took me about 4 hours to discover where the water was coming from.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Best use one that clips to the rim of the toilet bowl.

Reply to
IMM

And have fun unblocking the soil pipe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bah toilet blue, who needs it?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Anyway, you can achieve the same effect by simply drinking some methylene blue dye, and letting nature take its course.

Reply to
Ian Stirling