Clear plastic channelling for shelf labels

I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History", "Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps" over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

MM

Reply to
MM

these guys - I used them last week - I was impressed with proce and service.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

A cheap source (although unlikely to be clear) might be jumbo-sized slide binders.

Failing that, a library supplier like Don Gresswell might have something.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Will whiteboard pens wipe off melamine? They certainly wipe off packing tape and its white equivalent no problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

================================ An alternative to labelling the shelves is to make up dummy books (use strong white card) to indicate the start of each section. Self adhesive labels (to go on the spines of the dummy books) are readily available.

They look quite elegant when they're well made.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

An alternative way to a similar result would be to buy some cheap hardbacks from charity shops, make them new dust-jackets from leather-effect embossed paper and label with gold-coloured rub-down lettering.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I immediately thought of them, but could find only opaque coloured ones.

I've tried googling for shelving, bookshelves, etc. So far, nothing has appeared, yet I'm sure there *must* be something I can use, or modify for use. Going to pop along to B&Q today. Might be able to find something there.

MM

Reply to
MM

I want to apply PRINTED "labelling" (from the laser printer). This has got to look professional, because I'm trying out a new idea, not just sorting out my bookcases.

MM

Reply to
MM

Now THAT is an amazingly brilliant suggestion! This changes the whole approach, doesn't it? I'm often gobsmacked with what people come up with, thanks! And the idea is even better, as each section would, kind of, "self-label" itself as and when the section moves due to books being added or removed.

MM

Reply to
MM

=============================== I'm pleased you like my suggestion, but........

I don't claim any originality for the idea as such dummy books have been in use for many years with considerable success.

The idea of sections expanding and contracting as books are added / removed isn't mine either. Most libraries in this country use the Dewey Decimal classification system in which each category of book has a meaningful classification number. Books are placed on shelves in numerical order (books with same class number are then arranged alphabetically by author's name) so that there is a continuous sequence even if there are no books present in a particular classification. It's called 'relative location' as opposed to 'fixed location' and avoids the possibility of wasted empty shelf space.

p.s. Use the strongest card you can get consistent with being able to fold it. Most stationers stock a range of cards. If you want to be really 'posh' you could make them from plywood.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

My first thought would be the 'C' shaped channel used to hold printed information above things like patch bays used in broadcasting. Comes in various heights.

Dave Plowman (News)