Clear decking oil - recommendations

Just pressure washed the decking for the first time this year, and boy did it need it! Now back to looking "new" again, and I hear that decking oil is the way to go for a bit of protection. I don't want to affect the colour of the wood if possible (it is the usual pressure treated / tanalised ridged decking). Are there any recommendations on the choice of decking oil?

Screwfix do a cleaner and oil combination pack from Ronseal, which appears to be "natural" colour.

THey also do Cuprinol's "natural pine".

Does anyone have any experience with either? Before I go ahead, what should I expect to happen to the surface of the wood when it is applied? Will it have a sheen?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

goilis the way to go for a bit of protection. =A0I don't want to

I don't normally "bump" my usenet postings, so please forgive me this once. At =A330 per tin, its not the sort of stuff I want to shell out on, test on a patch of spare timber, only to find that it affects the colour of the wood more than I would want. And in the longer term, if there is experience which someone has of the durability of the different brands that would also help to make a good decision.

Any help / advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Haven't noticed any difference in durability between cheap & big brands - I suspect there are not that many plants making the stuff in the UK?

The clear ones have much the same effect on colour as wetting the deck does, if that helps. Don't personally like the coloured decking oils, they look a bit false like coloured varnish does.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman