Cleaning white coping stones

I have a short brick garden wall with white coping stones on top. The coping stones have become discoloured with some mildew type growth. How can I clean them without damaging the stones?

Reply to
Kooky45

Bleach followed by a pressure washer

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Kooky45 contains these words:

Bleach? Armillatox?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

A pressure washer might well damage the stones.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

on 23/04/2008, Kooky45 supposed :

Paint some bleach on during a long dry period and leave it on as long as possible, then pressure wash. I think anti-freeze might also be effective, we have an especially clean mark on our concrete which lasted for several years after a spill from a car radiator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not if a decent one, with appropriate nozzle used properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pressure washers damaging everything from car paint to stomework is a complete myth. I sold the buggers for 30 years and rarely if ever found they damaged anything.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That'll be why Marley specifically advise _against_ using power washers to clean their roof tiles, then?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

While in situ? Water in the roof space is bad so they would advise against it even if the tiles are unaffected they will leak or even be blown off the roof. No nails in them ya know.

Reply to
dennis

That's interesting. I can't imagine why anti-freeze would do that but it's worth a little experiment on my patio I think. I also don't understand why it is that where the wife puts the pressure cooker outside to release the steam there is also a nice clean area where the base sits. Can't be the steam as that goes upwards. Heat prtesumably

Reply to
Stuart Noble

First time I used one it damaged some car paintwork.

After that I got better at modulating the pressure.

when washing stonework, be careful. The small particles of dusty stone make excellent abrasives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

No, it's nothing to do with water in the roof space, or displacement. They specifically mention damage done by power washers (they've made some changes to their website, and I can't locate the statement that I know exists).

What I do know is that anyone enquiring of Marley how to clean their roof tiles are referred to my company. We get a fair bit of our work through their referrals, simply because we do not use power washers - ever!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Taking stickers off cars, however...

Reply to
Doki

That's a feature, not a bug.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how do you claen roof tiles?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ass covering or general ignorance IMO. No way can a HPC damage a roof tile.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Put a copper strip along the top. I wonder where I can obtain those.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've caused damage with one - great fun :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why do you want them white?

Some people go to great lengths to create such a patina ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Better tall that to the man in Fleet, whose roof we sorted this this week, after he let some cowboys on his roof with a pressure washer, then!

Reply to
Anne Jackson