Cleaning tiles and grout

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

TIA

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was trying to avoid that and was hoping that someone would come up with a magic liquid like what you see on telly: sprinkle 5 drops on a cloth, wave the cloth in the general direction of the tiles and they sprout little golden stars which go 'ting'!

No?

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the years.

Reply to
Clot

Before going the re-grout route, try some ordinary household bleach on an old toothbrush and give it a good scrub. I redid a whole bathroom like that in a couple of hours, and I had anticipated needing to regrout it.

If you do go for a re-grout, give the new grout a coat of Lithofin Grout Protector once its done. That will make it much more stain resistant in the future.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:00:23 +0100, F had this to say:

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:50:08 +0100, F had this to say:

WD-40 of course...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Almost. Give it a quick clean then a quick scrape over the grout lines, just enough to bare some degree of grout. Now apply fresh tile grout, smoothing it down with a sponge etc, creating a new very thin layer on top of the old. Despite being a horrible bodge it seems to work ok.

NT

Reply to
NT

Possibly dishwasher detergent, followed by household bleach. The two may react nastily and poisonously, so rinse well.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Rock on brother...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Angle grinder any use?

Angle grinder on grouted tile tends to cause burning. Once did it to clean up a tile that couldnt be replaced.

NT

Reply to
NT

Is that an angle grinder with a thin blade?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Another job for Mr Multimaster...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steady!

Reply to
Clot

Fein Multimaster (or clone) with a carbide or diamond segment blade makes de-grouting easy.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't know about the Fein, but the Bosch carbide blade is rather thick & can't be used on narrow grouting without damage to the tiles.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Think Tipp-Ex

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

One needs to check first obviously - but its ok on 3mm lines.

For a comparison against a 2p, see:

John Rumm

Reply to
The Medway Handyman