Cleaning tiled floor?

What's the best way of cleaning a tiled floor? I've tried those cheap electrostatic 'mop' things which you attach a floor wipe to but they're no good. As it's a flat I don't have anywhere to store a real mop. Are those expensive flash ones which use fluid bottles any good?

Also, what to do about stained tiles? Can I use bleach or will this damage them?

Thanks in advance - apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup to post to. :)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ashley

It's a problem. I don't think there's an *easy* way to get a 100% satisfactory finish. I get down on my honkers with a cloth and any cleaning medium - Flash is good. Then I get down again with a thoroughly rinsed cloth and wipe it over. Then I do that again.

Any other way leaves streaks, I've tried over many years and I'm not prepared to live with that. If floor is mucky it's mucky, if it's meant to be clean it has to be.

And I do the same with the laminate floor in the sitting room when there are little piles of chicken shit on it. It's the only way.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Any tips for an outdoor quarry tile path, Mary? It's quite new so looks better clean. The rest of the York stone paving in the garden I prefer weathered. Can't be bothered with a power washer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

????

Reply to
Grunff

Pressure washer :-)

Reply to
Grunff

No, I don't have one. If I did I suspect we'd use the pressure washer. But a sweeping brush clears everything we're bothered about on the garden paths.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Does with me too for everywhere else. But this is the front path. The original Victorian one was red black and cream tiles in a chequer pattern, but very uneven with many broken. So I completely re-made it using the closest match in tiles I could find. And it looks good. But even better clean.;-)

Trouble with things like a pressure washer is finding somewhere to store it when not in use. No garage, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought my very first one last summer, and have to say that now I've owned one, I wouldn't be without one. The amount of time it saves is staggering.

If I didn't have a garage, it'd go under the kitchen sink.

Reply to
Grunff

Ours isn't used much but it's not only time saving but very efficient for the jobs it is most used for: the annual cleaning of the carport roof and the occasional cleaning of the Eglu - an all plastic henhouse. QWe've also used it for cleaning groundsheets after very muddy sites, the caravan and the greenhouse.

I'd be prepared to put ours under the bed if necessary. We'd have to re-organise the boxes of wine but in the cause of tidiness we could make space ... ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Presumably the chickens shelter in the front room while Mary jet washes the hen house? ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Nice one but no, we sometimes bring them in, for instance if it's dark or raining and grandchildren want to see them. We've also occasionally had them in when they haven't been well or (twice and two different hens) they've gone swimming in the pond and have had to be washed and dried ...

It's not a big flock. Two Wyandotte bantams - but they still do what hens do!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Get on yer knees with a variety of sponge scourers, a bucket of warm water witha floor cleaing solution in it, and a bottle of acetone or paint remover for any ground in organic stuff.

We also have a magic mop, but I forget where we got iot. Squeezable shard sponge. Sililar things are available from ships chandlers for cleaning yacht decks. Tey are able to hold vast qunatities of dirty water...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher