cleaning stove extractor fan hood

When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax, ammonia, and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor hood. I've even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a small bottle to use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove? Nothing seems to shift it.

I can take the extractor hood off, but I still can't clean it.

someone

Reply to
someone

Angle grinder

Reply to
Toby

Har-har, very funny. Anybody else with a more useful answer?

Reply to
someone

You could try this:

Reply to
Rod

someone coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes - if it comes off, and you have a dishwasher, try that, with a double dose of powder on the hottest setting.

Worked for me.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Erm, I don't have a dishwasher. But - if I were to buy some dishwasher whatever powder, I wonder if that would work? You could have a point there. I will investigate dishwasher powders as a cleaner. Thank you.

someone

Reply to
someone

someone coughed up some electrons that declared:

At least I said "if" rather than glibly assuming ;->

Well, in that case, I might be tempted to try washing powder in boiling, or at least fairly hot water in whatever is big enough to hold the part. Washing powder is surprisingly effective at shifting some things.

If it's too big for a sink or bucket, then I guess it would have to be the bath and hot tap water and loads of powder. Soak, then take a brush and give it a scrub, maybe soak some more.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thank you for the link, I've filed it. It's a bit expensive, but if nothing else works, I'll go there. Good luck with your thyroid website, it's useful to hear about.

someone

Reply to
someone

The Angle Grinder answer is a tradition around here :-)

Borax, ammonia, and soda are by & large a waste of time, you just need a decent hard surface cleaner, a microfibre cloth & some hot water.

Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Degreaser isn't bad for a domestic product. Better are available from janitorial suppliers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This stuff will do it.

got some in poundland. It works .

mark

Reply to
mark

Well I have had the same problem for 14 years until today. While in Homebase I saw a product called HG Grease away. It is a 0.5l bottle and cost £2-99. After trying alcohol, mild acids, bathroom cleaner and a list like your own this was the 1st product for me that did as it says. I am genuinely amazed at its performance for cleaning the plastic fan housing (we do not use a carbon filter, only an alloy mesh then straight into the fan and out the ducting.). You spray it on, way a few seconds then wipe off.

See

for manufacturers web site.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

What are you using - cheap cleaning products? I find that a good product like MrMuscle - even a good washing up liquid (neat) has sufficient de-greasing power for a domestic kitchen.

Reply to
John

In message , someone writes

two angle grinders ?

Reply to
geoff

Sorry!

How about

Toby

well, technically, it got imported by those of us in UKRM and adopted

Reply to
geoff

One of the best things I've found for that stuff is Tesco cleaning wipes

  • elbow grease. If you're really serious then oven cleaners/hydroxide will shift it but can damage the finish on surfaces.

However the Tesco wipes are very good at degreasing. Another good option is the "Mr Muscle" degreaser sold for use in commercial kitchens. It's not sold in supermarkets but you can get it from Cash & Carry stores such as CostCo, Bookers or Makro.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
geoff

What works best for us was Mr Muscle professional kitchen cleaner, when that finished we use Flash professional kitchen cleaner which is just as good.

Reply to
David

The stuff you use to clean clothes works fine, albeit powder or liquid. I am at a step far later than you, I have to remove the whole extractor unit and detail steam clean it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Best i've found is Hagesan grease away, £2.45 in a 500ml spray bottle from amazon.

Or google for other suppliers.

Refills are available for a little bit more but are 6x concentrated.

Doesn't attack aluminium.

:-)

Derek

Reply to