cleaning stone hearth

My son and d-i-l live in the Barnsley/Sheffield area and have recently had a wood burning stove fitted in their stone fireplace. Unfortunately the hearth has quickly become stained with wood/coal ash/ soot. They have tried to clean it using usual soaps and detergents but the stains remain. Not sure if the stone hearth is natural stone or some kind of artificial/reconstituted material, but it certainly seems natural and is a cream/light brown colour.

Any ideas for getting rid of the stains, and subsequently sealing the hearth to prevent further discolouration.

TIA Pete

Reply to
petek

No idea how to remove the stains, but I used someting like this:

my neighbour's hearth.

Reply to
PeterC