Cleaning specs

I've now had varifocals for a week, with the biggest lenses avilable, great, I'm wearing them all the time.

But how to clean them?

Presumably the rag in the box will get dirty, and the edge of a shirt cant be the best. What about those VDU cleaning tissues in a plastic box?

[g]

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y From: Allthumbs Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:52:29 +0100 Local: Thurs, May 28 2009 8:52 am Subject: Re: varifocals Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:22:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote: >I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all >round vision for that.

the only problem with driving is reversing, when you tend to look out of the edge of the glasses, just make sure you get big enough glass (top gun style is ideal IMHO) so that the "reading" part isn't set to far up. Then you will be able to see everything. They do of course make some people feel seasick at first.

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Washing up liquid and warm water. I usually put a drop of liquid onto the lenses and smear it around then put under warm water.

Rinse thoroughly in warm water.

Even more gently dry off on a non-scratchy towel or similar. (I usually use the tea towel.)

Not only did I start doing that myself many years ago, my optician even said to do so.

Reply to
Rod

Optician says warm water and soap

Rinse, dry with soft towel

I wash mine when washing in the mornings

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I've been using varifocals since 1988, never had anything else (didn't need glasses before that). I just put a drop or two of washing up liquid on them, and clean em with me fingers, rinse under running water and dry with a clean tea towel.

I can't be arsed to do anything else.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I use a bit of the cleaning fluid from the optician, and a cleaning cloth. Finish off with one of those larger felt-y cloths they have - they're washable, and the last one lasted 30 years! Cost 7 quid for the replacement, but good value I think.

Every so often I pop them in the ultrasonic cleaner with one drop of washing up liquid.

BTW...anyone had experience of buying 'prescription' monocles? Might be all I need soon...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I prefer small lenses, which allow the glasses to sit back under the eyebrow.

Having been wearing glases since the 1950s, I use anything reasonably soft that comes to hand - handkerchief, shirt tail, whatever.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Agree 100%.

When you're out and about, without easy access to water and washing up liquid and a clean dry cloth, use glasses wipes from Aldi or Lidl. The moist wipes come in individual sachets so they are always fresh, moist and ready. (Oo er, missus!)

They are available elsewhere too, but Aldi and Lidl have consistently low prices.

Reply to
Bruce

Pressure washer!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

george [dicegeorge] wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 16:39

I wash mine with shower gel, bubble bath or hair shampoo whenever I take a bath. Other times, handwash or Fairy and warm water. Worked for me for years.

Reply to
Tim W

That's what I do as well and being a member of the d-i-y brigade that's needed quite often

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Angle Grinder be too severe perhaps? Even with a sheepskin mop tied on?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

An angle grinder? That's *so* last year! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

+1. I ensure any glasses I own have a scratch-resist coating, and after one cockup with anti-reflective, am avoiding that. This means they're robust enough to clean with whatever sane comes to hand.
Reply to
Clive George

Tim Streater wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 16:58

I have a system of carrying 2 handkerchiefs. Right pocket, nose, left pocket specs. Left to right and a new on each morning. Means I always have a clean cloth to hand (wear specs all the time, don't carry a case).

Reply to
Tim W

Yes, I use them. Aldi ones were 65p for 50 last time I bought some.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But don't forget the WD-40 on the hinges :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed - lens material and coatings can be significant. I chose Trivex with anti-scratch/AR coating. Very tough. No obvious damage after almost a year of careless treatment.

Reply to
Rod

From: Bob Eager Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 Time: 18:56:24

But the *real* problem is cleaning where the dirt and verdigris get trapped between the lens and the frame. Under the nose-pieces too. How

*does* one get these parts clean?
Reply to
Ian

Ultrasonic cleaner (see earlier post) does a pretty good job.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well you can reduce muck levels by going frameless - but still some gunge traps.

Reply to
Rod