Cleaning solar panels

Just been told that research - as yet unpublished - shows panels should be cleaned regularly, at night, and while it is raining or with a hosepipe spraying the roof. Doesn't affect me but a heads up for those with PVs to get the on their rooves for a drop of DIY.

Reply to
Robin

I wonder if an occasional application of Rain-X might help.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Ah, googling that, cleaning solar panels is a well "published" topic ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Now all you have to do is get up on the roof at night when it is raining. :-)

This is generally non-trivial.

Friends have solar panels but you wouldn't get me up there even on a dry sunny day. They are aware of the loss of power dues to dirt, bird crap etc. I'm not sure that they have made the business case to pay somebody to go up and clean them on a regular basis. Doing it at night is likely to make it even more expensive.

The cost of cleaning needs to be less than the generation loss.

Also, why at night?

The panels are generating during the day, but they should be safe to wash with a hose and brush AFAIK. Safety disclaimer just in case someone does something silly?

This may be more applicable to solar farms.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Seems like an ill thought out idea. Solar power is dangerous enough for installers without homeowners falling off their roofs at night. (Horses have hooves or hoofs but houses only have roofs)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What's particularly dangerous about solar power? The panels and D.C. connectors are pretty well insulated.

Wether they need cleaning or not depends on the installation; panels at a steep angle in a normally rainy climate and with fairly clean atmosphere shouldn't need cleaning. If there on a barn roof in a farmyard they probably will.

Our window cleaner has very succesfully branched out into solar panel cleaning; it's now the biggest part of his business. He mainly does solar farms, which seem to be cleaned twice a year. He uses pole cleaning, so it's all done from ground level.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Harry should be encouraged to do his (

) :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Most are on roofs. Installers fall off.

People make money washing wheely bins. Doesn't make it essential though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Chris Hogg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was only thinking yesterday - if a panel is shorted out does it harm it?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, they have rooves as well

The Natural Philosopher

indeed - but did you *have* to include the link?

Reply to
Robin

Maybe because one's shadow will interrupt the generation of a teeny-tiny amount of electricity if done during the day? Similar to the reason for doing it while it is raining.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Using 80 grit sandpaper ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The OED begs to differ.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Any ful kno that Chambers is *the* authority on everything. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The main problem can be bird shit. If the panels are on a roof, there is no problem. They are below ridge height and the bird sit on thr ridge and shit on the roof.

If they are at ground level, they sit on the panels and shit on the panels.

The panels are self cleaning, normal muck washes off.

Reply to
harry

If you clean them by day, you can feel a prickle of electricity sometimes. Evening is best, voltage is down and there is still light.

Reply to
harry

Apparently not.

Reply to
harry

Its them bloody Pigeons again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Excellent point! I expect the water doesn't help :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre