cleaning sandstone

Could anyone post information on cleaning sandstone, specifically exterior walls which are charcoal black now, and were probaly light grey in colour in the dim and distant past?

TIA

Mags

Reply to
Mags

In message , Mags writes

Sandblasting?

Reply to
geoff

That is done. Also washing with detergent and pressure washing. Good for oily soots apparently.

Worh contacting people like English Heritage who do it all teh time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

EH use the Jos system (thats a brand name and there are other similar ones) which I think is air jetting. It is very time consuming and requires a certain amount of technique but has the advantage that it abrades the stone very little.

I would think it is emininently diy-able, perhaps with a half days help from an expert to help you with the technique. I've pulled a couple of web addresses out of a magazine tho I haven't looked at the pages

and and and yarg! there are loads of addresses. If you want more, then tell me where you are in the country

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to