Cleaning Plastic Bath

My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

Reply to
Bookworm

I was once recommended T-Cut for cars but have never actually tried it. Has anyone?

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

T-Cut is a fine abrasive. It may work but will leave a micro-scratched surface that's likely to hold dirt and stains. Using a car polish either afetr or instaed of T-Cut may work but the bath will be slippery so be carefull. I've used car polish on dulled UPVC windows before and it works well.

John

Reply to
John

Then the same would apply to car paint?

If the plastic is acrylic (Perspex) polishing it with a fine abrasive will be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its more than lilely a build up of body fat. Get a good quality bathroom cleaner and a white scourer and use some elbow grease.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In my experience it does. I always follow T-Cut with polish for that reason. T-Cut leaves my car paint looking quite dull but that's on celulose which is quite soft. A good quality polish then brings up a shine. On black celulose, the only polish I can find that works is Johnsons Wax. B/Y hard work but looks lovely.

John

Reply to
John

According to

Clean your bath using only a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Rinse and wipe dry with a dry clean soft cloth. DO NOT use abrasive compounds, pads, cloths or creams as these will damage the surfaces.

A bit unrealistic! Do you live in a hard water area? If so, the matt finish could be limescale. Vinegar should remove that, or any bath cleaning spray which states on the label suitable for acrylic baths.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

A very mild abrasive...T-cut - works.

But first of all try a good de-scaling..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't that body fat too? ;-)

BTW, don't use any type of scourer on a plastic bath. A brush (washing up type) or cloth, used with a good bath cleaner, will shift that residue (mixture of fat, scum, and hard water).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What I use is Flash Bathroom spray - spray on leave about 15 minutes and easily wipe/hose off. The bath has stayed shiny for about 10 years. Just be very careful with the fittings as it removes gold plate as well.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

My old Rover used to be black cellulose and compounding brought up a good shine - although I prefer Farecla to T-Cut. Obviously, a good wax can improve that shine, but I certainly wouldn't have called it dull.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Micro fibre cloths work really well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps dull is an overstatement but I could easily see how far I'd got when waxing a panel. The extra shine was quite noticable. The finish looked OK after T-Cut but the improvement after waxing was worth it. Hopefully that's what the O/P wants. He may decide to stop with the T-Cut finish if he goes that route though.

John

Reply to
John

Brasso is pretty good if it's really bad (though it *is* abrasive, of course)

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Pinot Grigio" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

I swear by Flash for most things (windows, floors) and I just tried a bit on my mucky bath, and it was pretty good.

But I think it needed a bit extra for hard water deposits, so bathroom cleaner might be the thing.

Had a bit of trouble with the coal dust though.

Aussie joke: How do you get an Englishman out of the bath?

Put some water in.

mike

Reply to
mike

Fill it with hot water. Tip in half a box of Bio Washing Powder [NOT liquid], agitate the muck with a soft nail brush. Leave over night. Rinse. Job done

Reply to
Grumpy owd man