cleaning pitch/bitumen of brickwork

I have just taken down a flat roof and replaced with traditional roof. In places some pitch or bitumen from the old roof is showing on the brickwork. Can any one recommend a way of cleaning it off. I have removed most with a scraper but some is still being obstinate. I am unsure what type of solvent if any will do the job. Thanks for any help. Neil

Reply to
Neil

Petrol but messy, have you tried burning it off?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Unfortunately it is near to upvc fascias so burning out of question. I will try petrol. Thanks for reply Neil

Reply to
Neil

Paraffin is the solvent of choice. Petrol works but has its downsides.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Any solvent that will dissolve the bitumen will carry the bitumen further into the bricks, causing irremedial staining. Try a "freezer spray"(as used by plumbers) to chill the bitumen to a temperature at which it will powder when brushed.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Thanks. I will try to get some spray and let you know if it works. Neil

Reply to
Neil