Cleaning paint rollers -> dishwasher?

Can I clean paint rollers in a dishwasher? Top shelf and cool wash only I presume.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I am sure you could if you don't mind risking it -- but why bother?

Personally I chuck mine at the end of the job, although if I am going to use the same colour in the next one or two days I seal the whole roller tightly in a plastic bag ready for use next time.

As they only cost 3 or 4 quid it is hardly worth the hassle, and I always used to find a 'cleaned' roller leaving bits of itself and/or the previous colour where least wanted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Not at the sametime as cooking salmon.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Something smells fishy about this thread....

I'll get my coat !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You lazy vastard !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Poached dishwaher salmon in Finish sauce.

Yum, yum.

(:-)

Graham

Reply to
graham

In a dishwasher ????

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Little known technique, but highly recommended. Wrap it in baking foil first.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

It's not little known!

Well, not among wimmin.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 02 Apr 2005, Richard wrote

I've no idea -- but I'll be watching for non-flippant answers, as it's a bloody good question.

Try it and see, perhaps?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It even appears with professional chefs...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Thanks All,

The reason I ask is that (a) I've been using a colour called Fired Ochre which seems to have a phenomenal amount of pigment which takes ages to wash out, (b) as part of the interim stage in kitchen re-fit my dishwasher is now installed in the carport and will become redundant at the end of next week and (c) I know that you can clean car parts in dishwashers.

I will try it when I have no further use for DW or the current rollers!

My fear was that even the coolest wash would remove the fibres and irretrievably block the pumps and filters.

TTFN

Richard

Reply to
Richard

You're quite right. But as I was squeezing seemingly endless quantities of Fired Ochre out of the roller last night whilst standing next to the DW I started wondering . . . .

Richard ;-)

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Mary Fisher

-snip-

Give us an update when you do!

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

People clean paint rollers? I chuck 'em away - Life's too short.

First thing I do when I have a decorating project is make up my stock of rollers to about a dozen and buy a batch of cheap paintbrushes for the glossing. Each night the used ones go in the bin.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Not sure that I'd use cheap brushes for paintwork. SWMBO was sent to buy some brushes (for the Satinwood on the doors) and came back with some ghastly synthetic things - I would have done as good a job with a stick.

Each night the used ones go in the bin.

Tempting.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Think cost effectiveness. How long does it take to clean a roller (it never took me less than 20 mins). How much do you earn per hour? Is your leisure time worth more to you than your work time. Do the maths and persuade yourself that the cost of the hot water/fairy liquid/brush cleaner all adds up.

When they are new, cheapo brushes are fine. Brush them over a wall when new to get rid of any loose stuff. The rest of the "bristles" will stay in place until you attempt to clean the brush so don't bother.

Grit your teeth and try it once.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Try these:

if that's not strange enough for you, there's always the option of cooking a turkey in a compost heap:

graham

same sort of thing I imagine. Perhaps I SHALL have a look. All for energy saving. Not that our compost bins get hot,they just stand there and fester. Eventually the stuff rots and I use it. Waste not want not.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher