Cleaning / Maintaining Askilan Worktop

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how best to maintain an Askilan kitchen worktop?

I have one which was fitted two years ago, and has only been lightly used, but I have never found it easy to keep it looking good. The surface is supposed to be semi matt, but develops glossy "high spots" which leave it looking uneven textured. In other places (particularly the draining area) the texture just seems permanently blotchy and hard to keep clean.

I contacted the supplier sooner after fitting, and they said if necessary clean it with "Cif" abrasive cream, and to be quite tough with it (I was not sure whether it was OK to use abrasives). I have done this and it does sort of work, but you have to scrub quite hard and keep doing it regularly, otherwise it quickly gets blotchy. You cannot just wipe it clean with some Flash as I would a granite worktop.

They also advised after cleaning it thoroughly to wipe the surface with olive oil to give it a glossy finish. I tried this in a small area but it seemed to leave a sticky finish and I did not like the idea of having my worktop coated in olive oil, so I cleaned it off.

The company (Askilan) has now ceased trading as far as I can tell - their web site is no longer active.

Overall I wish I had paid a bit extra and had granite!

Thanks

David Ellis

Reply to
David Ellis

[...]

Howdens sell or 2 years ago sold a similar product to order & they may be able to help. It looks like its made by

with a uk distributor: Eagle International Distribution Cleveland Street Eagle House HU8 7AU Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom Tel. +44 1482 222153 Fax. +44 1482 222157 snipped-for-privacy@eagle3.fsbusiness.co.uk

peterk

Reply to
PeterK

replying to David Ellis, Adrian wrote: Askilan recommended paraffin oil which gives a semi glosss finish and needs redoing from time to time,

Reply to
Adrian

I'm sure he's very grateful for your reply 10 years later. Why do so many people use that stupid website to get here?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Probably because it shows up in web searches...

maybe its also looking at distant galaxies - you see them as they were in the past - perhaps they are attracted to the more informative and less grouchy version of the group as it was then!

Reply to
John Rumm

Because it so stupid it does not really make it clear that its actually just a naff portal to Usenet. The dating is illogical and also it suggests you can put graphics or stuff like that in the system but of course if you do do that many of the servers outside strip this if its not a binary group. Obviously the young whippersnapper who wrote the site has never ever used Usenet. T my mind somebody needs to act as a quality control and if a web interface does not conform correctly to the right parameters, it needs to be blacklisted and all its posts bounced back. I fully realise however that to police this would need somebody paid to do it and this will never happen. I've only browsed idly in the site but it seems to me they would have been better making the thing an email list based system with a web interface than one connected to Usenet which is always going to remain plain text based.

I do feel sorry for the people who succumb to the thing. Its not their fault its the admins. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The graphics bit actually works ok, since it does not encode binary into the message, but simply hosts the file on the website, and inserts a URL into the post.

If they dropped the "The best rated discussions" bit, or failing that, simply prohibited replies to threads more than a certain age, it would actually be a reasonable usenet portal.

It even has the ability to quote properly, but does not make it the default action or include explanation or why its a good thing to do.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi, we’ve moved now but loved our old work surface. After a wipe down with a damp cloth we used baby oil. We discovered this hack purely by accident ( a spill) , gave the surface a lovely even shine and dint small and wasn’t sticky

Reply to
Maggie