Cleaning lead flashing

====================== Light oxidation can be removed by rubbing with a cloth soaked in patination oil. Heavier deposits need pre-cleaning with wire wool. Try 'Brillo pads' - they clean more gently than plain wire wool. Try not to scratch the lead too much.

How long the effect will last depends on local air pollution so you will have to repeat the treatment from time to time. Since your flashing isn't really decorative it probably isn't worth doing unless you're very 'house proud'.

Cic.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

replying to Edrich, Laney wrote: Use a scourer to clean it and then put some plantation oil to protect it

Reply to
Laney

Is this a record a reply to a 15 year old post.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Nope. I think we have seen posts answered from the last century

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cotton plantation? Pineapple plantation? Cannabis plantation, come on give us a clue.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith.

Not if its The home owners club portal its not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He he, one of the problems with lead flashing is how its actually held on in the first place. Seems odd to me that even now nobody has come up with some new wonder material for the use. Lead is after all not very nice environmentally either,I've seen it held on with rusty nails.

AS for why people reply to old posts. Its because they are used to forums where threads are short lived and often locked. Using Usenet of course is a whole different way of working and although it is true that on Home Owners club it is relatively easy to see the date of te post, many do not think to look for the reason stated above. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Lead flashing is normally chased into the wall. If bricks, usually by stepping it into the mortar between courses. Very satisfying to do. Plenty alternatives have been used. But done properly, lead can last hundreds of years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)