Cleaning lead flashing

Parts of the lead flashings on my house have turned a light grey over the years and also accumulated some dirt markings. Is there a way to clean them up and inprove their appearance?

Reply to
Edrich

I can't believe this :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

One of my neighbours was out at 11.30pm last night cleaning her (already clean AFAICS) windows frames. She seems to do this weekly.

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

It's just natural oxidation. Why not paint them black with something like Hammerite?

It's hard to believe that after thousands of years of civilisation and being able to send men to the moon (allegedly), that we still have not come up with anything better than lead flashing and pitched tiled roofs for weather proofing houses. Then again, why change it if it works?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Lead window frames?

My next door neighbour gets out his ladder weekly and washes his gutters.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

One of my elderly neighbours is out at 8 am every morning sweeping his drive and picking up the litter deposited by yobs the previous evening. Makes me feel really ashamed.

I find the latest government directive for motorists very useful. Apparently, bad drivers now have to display a white flag with a red cross on their cars. Really bad drivers have to display two. This is proving very useful to me, as I can give them a very wide berth.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

===================== I assume you mean the decorative lead on bay windows etc. If so - buy 'patination oil' at Wickes, B&Q etc. It was shown on a TV programme recently.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Edrich wrote

Edrich, the light grey colour on the flashing is lead oxide. It's called the patina, and it actually protects the lead from harmful agents such as acid rain and the sun, so don't remove it. The correct way to improve the appearance is to apply Lead Patination Oil.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well, both will last a lifetime under normal circumstances. 'Man made' materials have a habit of promising long life but not in fact doing so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Where I used to catch the bus to school many moons ago there was this old man that had concreted and then gloss painted his entire front garden!! including the path and every morning while we were all waiting for the bus he used to come out sweep it clean and then (didnt matter if it was raining or clear) he use to proceded to polish it all with pledge and a duster.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "dave @ stejonda" wrote | > Mary Fisher writes | > >"Edrich" wrote | > >> Parts of the lead flashings on my house have turned a light grey | > >> over the years and also accumulated some dirt markings. Is there | > >> a way to clean them up and inprove their appearance? | > >I can't believe this :-)

I know, fancy letting them get into that state to start with!

| > One of my neighbours was out at 11.30pm last night cleaning her | > (already clean AFAICS) windows frames. She seems to do this weekly. | Lead window frames? | My next door neighbour gets out his ladder weekly and washes his gutters.

I hope he gives his flashings a quick wipe over too with lead patination oil while he's up there, save so much trouble in the long run to keep them clean now.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Terry D" wrote | One of my elderly neighbours is out at 8 am every morning sweeping | his drive and picking up the litter deposited by yobs the previous | evening. Makes me feel really ashamed.

I'm sure he doesn't really expect you to do it for him, although you could offer to help him with the wheeliebin occasionally if it's heavy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, he means flashing on his roof.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cic.

====================== How do you know that he means flashing on his roof?

My bay window (and most other houses in my street) has decorative lead flashing under the top window and I guess that that's what the OP was referring to.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes, but they will turn grey pretty soon afterwards.

Its a lead salt formed under oxidation. All lead turns grey in time. Leave it. It stops the bit of lead underneath turning grey also...

If its dirty, pressure wash it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

However the drivers who defy belief are the ones with little fish signs on the back.

Execute a U turn immediately you see one of these.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because he said so!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

=================

No, he didn't. He said:

"Parts of the lead flashings on my house have turned a light grey over the years and also accumulated some dirt markings. Is there a way to clean them up and inprove their appearance?"

That doesn't necessarily mean his *roof* .

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Oh dear I seem to have caused some amusement. I was just hoping for some advice and ridiculously I thought this might be the place to get it.

Perhaps I am being a little sensitive as some replies did give advice which was informative and useful. At the risk of provoking further fun at my expense I will just give some info.

My house has an area of mono pitch roof over a single storey area resulting in a horizontal flashing where the roof meets the wall. This flashing is quite visible and it does look a little patchy and tired. I want to improve the appearance if it is possible. It is not the natural oxidation that worries me but the uneven effect which I think looks untidy.

This leaves me with a few questions.

Is there any special technique to applying patination oil?

Does it work by removing the oxide or just coating it?

Will the effect last a reasonable time?

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Reply to
Edrich

The phrase "Get a Life" springs to mind, or am I being too harsh?

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks