cleaning in general

My local pub owner has told one of the staff that sometimes does the early morning cleaning that...

1 Soap and water will clean anything, including carpets.

2 Using Flash on a varnished table will remove the varnish.

I thought that I had a definitive list of cleaning in my hard drive, but it turned out to be about stain removal.

Does anyone know of a site that says what you can and can not use on varnish, paint and stained woodwork?

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Most pubs seem to use stuff that makes the tables sticky - similar to a Post-it

Reply to
John

soap on carpet equals sticky residue that attracts dirt, and faded colours sometimes. Soap is also semi obsolescent due to its poor performance compared to modern detergents.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

errm, no. When a pub table is sticky, it's sugar residue because they have 'cleaned' it with a damp cloth, that is to say, they have merely diluted the beer and spread it around a bit. The proper cleaner used in pubs is bright pink and comes in a spray bottle

Reply to
Phil L

He should have the proper cleaning products, especially so if he is using food - flash is a non starter.

Reply to
Phil L

Carpets? What's wrong with sawdust on the floors?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

IANAE but I work part time in an LA school in the caretaking dept. My first reaction to the above is B*locks.

Flash will clean the hard surfaces without damace (if used at the correct dilution but a better bet is a cleaner which will disinfect the surfaces. Any sanitiser will do or if there is a serious problem, a cleaner/disinfectant ( Lifeguard cleaner/disinfectant is what we use in toilers when diluted as specified.

In another life I am responsible for cleaning a church wich is also used for food service. All hard surfaces used for food service and consumption are cleaned usind an Evans product called Es-teem which is a cleaner/sanitiser

They supply cleaning products through local commercial cleaning suppliers.

As for carpets, a good extraction cleaner using the correct detergent will do a good job. A cleaner such as HSS Hire 58322 with Evans Extraction cleaner will do a very good job, but this is only an ocasional job. The cleaner costs about £600 ex vat to buy and the carpet will need to dry overnicht - no vacuuming needed.

HTH - I have no objections to your showing this to the landlord. I suspect that any local clening supplier would visit and make recommendations FOC in the hpoe of getting a supply contract. BTW H4S demands that the employer has copies of the COSHH sheets for any products used on the premises.

Any questions, if you post again I can contact you by e-mail

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I meant serving food, obv.

Reply to
Phil L

soap on carpet equals sticky residue that attracts dirt, and faded colours sometimes. Soap is also semi obsolescent due to its poor performance compared to modern detergents.

Soap is a complete no no on carpets as you say.

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

That's a residue of despair. Used to get something similar above the ceilings in Ladbrokes shops.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Your pub owner is probably skint as they all are. Commercial cleaners cost money. Customer last as always.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That was what the barmaid said and got a bollocking for using the Flash spray.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do you know the name of it, please?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I couldn't agree more, but this is a very opinionated man I am talking about.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think it's this

don't quote me. Just seen it used.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Local Italian restaurants use the same stuff, the waitresses go around with a spray bottle clipped to their belt. On Granite it's OK but on wooden tables finished with "varnish" it can soften it to the extent you could write your name in it with a finger nail.

So I'm told

Reply to
Derek G.

On 13/01/2011 17:55, Malcolm wrote: ...

It is good practice to vary the product from time to time, to avoid any build-up of resistant bacteria. When I ran a clean room, we used a commercial cleaner / sanitiser, but the microbiologist insisted that we also occasionally wiped down with either strong bleach or alcohol wipes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Do you know the name of it, please?

Dave

The colour only depends on the dye they use :-)

All you need is a hard surface cleaner

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

I can understand that by remembering a thread about cleans 99.95 of germs, leaving the super bugs to run rampant, instead of having to compete against the normal bugs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave