Cleaning gutters .. cost ?

I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out gutters. Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

time because some will be easy and some might need scaffolding.

Pressure washer is a good idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine was =A318 recently, 3 bed det 2 storey and bits on garage, guy used ladder with a small shovel and a pail. Al

Reply to
al

Also, are you going to make any repairs that might be needed, such as fixing leaking joins?

Excellent for blowing the rubber seals out, and then you have a leaking gutter.

I made up a long length of pipe bent around with a hooked end, and the tip hammered slightly flatter to make a crude fishtail jet. Hook over gutter, and slowly slide along. Don't use high pressure or, as I said above, you'll blow the gutter seals, particularly if they aren't in new pristine condition. You will end up with sandy mud and other crap from the gutters down the walls and all over you, and you'll need to hose that off afterwards (and clean the windows). Wear goggles to keep the grit out of your eyes.

Interesting thing is that since I started replacing all the gutters with new ones 8 - 10 years ago, no muck has collected in the new ones at all, so I don't need to do it anymore.

In the distant past, I have also done it by unclipping and taking gutters down, when access is easy. You can then also clean out the seals, and replace any that need it. However, by the time you've done that, and replaced the odd bracket which inevitably snaps, you do question if it's worth putting the old gutter back up or if you might as well fit a new one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

time ... look at it as if it is 1/2 day or full day.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I usually quote £60 for front & back on a standard two storey house, around £45 for a bungalow (Kent).

Set of drain rods with drop scraper saves moving the ladder too much, ladder stay makes life easier.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Only if you want to spend several hours cleaning up the mess.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Eh?? We have a 3-bed semi dormer (chalet-style I believe they're also called) bungalow so we have guttering above the ground floor level and also above the bedroom level. We also have no downspouts on our property at all - the guttering forms a U-shape with the open end of the U towards next-door so that all rain falling on us gets channeled to them and they have the downspouts.

Using a ladder for the top level, a step ladder for the lower, a bucket and a small "gardener's-type" trowel, it took me no more than an hour-and-half to get 4 bucket-loads of crap out of my guttering and another hour to do theirs.

If somebody came and said that it would be half a day's work to clear out the gutters I'd send 'em packing with a flea in their ear. This is beer-money work, not make-yourself-rich work. By pure coincidence a local handyman had been round the street a day earlier posting flyers through letterboxes and said that he'd do it for £25 per house (Lancashire) but I didn't see the point of paying someone when I knew I could do it meself.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:28:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I think it will be time.

I was asked to go immediately to a bungalow on the complex as rain water was flowing everywhere. The housing manager said would I quote for 5 bungalows and two two story buildings whilst I was there. I posted the question on here .. time or by the metre ? .. before I left to do the job on one bungalow.

Well .. There was approx 70m of guttering .. of which 8m, you could hardly get your fingers into the gutter for the pantiles being deeply set inside the gutter. Struggled there. One blocked down pipe ... removed from gutter and cleared One grid/gully blocked full of sediment, a good arm length deep.

4 full buckets and 1.5 hrs later .. finished.There was alot of cement from the hips and roof gullys amongst all the leaves and sediment.

Pressure washer !! My god what a mess that would make ... I think it was not serious ?

How much to charge for that job ? Travelling was only 15mins each way.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Some people use pressure washers for everything - an obsession

Reply to
John

I would have charged £45 first hour, then £20 per hour afterwards. So for

1.5 hrs £55. I would usually quote £60 as I said earlier. 70m on a bungalow?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:00:13 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Yes ... the gutters ran around all sides and there were alcoves with several projections if you see what I mean. The garages are part of the building. These were top end of the market when built.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Got a postcode so I can Goggle Earth it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:13:27 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

HG3 1PX

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

See what you mean. Not seen a bungalow like that in these here parts.

How much to charge? How much can you get away with ?

Access looks easy enough, I'd want £50 ish a bungalow.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman