Cleaning / flushing CH

How often should inhibitor be renewed?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have fired up the heating system again this afternoon and found the hall radiator is still hot (no cold spots) I can only presume that after turning the valves in and out a few times has dislodged some of the sludge allowing full throughput of hot water.

The flow and return pipes are hot within half an hour without hardly a noticeable difference in temperature touching them by hand.

The other rads are still hot so perhaps the hall rad is now functioning properly and the system needs not to be balanced.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Lockshields and 'ordinary' valves are usually the same - only the knob is changed to prevent tampering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, that's a neat idea (especially the use of old washing machine hoses: I never throw them away in case I can find a use for them). I don't believe I have any very heavily sludged rads. Perhaps I will try that system, and then remove a sample rad and see if I get more out by jiggling.

Reply to
newshound

Yes; but not regularly replaced. I've tended to add another tube on the few occasions I have moved or replaced a rad. After the initial fill it never generated much gas which makes me think I've kept it reasonably well inhibited.

Reply to
newshound

and a better explanation here:
> Also have a look at this:
anyone point me to a schematic for an open tank system please? I'm not sure how that side is plumbed up.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Washing machine hoses will only fit the type radiator valves which have a union fitting, with a 3/4"BSP thread. The same principle could be used with other valves (e.g. those with compression-type fittings) but a different method would have to be devised for connecting the hoses.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I didn't know that, I know absolutely nothing about heating systems, I've only just found out we have a regular boiler after living here for over two years.

Thanks to all for the help.

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

There's one in this Hep2O pdf from their website (or somewhere), sorry I don't have the link to hand but I only downloaded it in the last couple of days

HEP20_DesignConsiderations.pdf

Reply to
newshound