cleaning flat roof

hi, the flat roof on my extension needs cleaning, it has a lot of moss on it. i always do jobs around the house myself, the roof consists of heavy felt with chippings on it. can anyone please suggest a way i can do this, and if a solution is needed where can i purchase this. many thanks.

Reply to
john.clements853

The message from snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net contains these words:

I'd consider the moss a good thing. More insulation, more protection from sun, more thermal mass, somewhere for the bugs to live.

If you really must get rid of it I suppose a spring-tine grass rake would get most of it out. Failing that, very gently sweep it up into a dustbin and jetwash it or tumble it, rinse it and spread it out again.

Reply to
Guy King

I assume your roof must be quite old as newer roof claddings don't use them. I would be very careful about doing anything on an old roof other than getting up there to re-new it as there is a high risk of popping odd blisters and starting a leak. Leave the moss alone It won't do any harm.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

For cleaning the moss from our flat roof I've found a solution of Jeyes fluid to work wonders. I would point out that our roof is 'paved' so no idea if Jeyes would be suitable in your circumstance.

HTH

Jim

Reply to
Jim

copper salts will kill / prevent moss. I assume you know never to tread on the chippings.

NT

Reply to
meow2222