Cleaning copper

I have a large copper jug (it's actually a half-gallon Royal Navy grog measure) which has at some time had masking tape stuck to it (not by me!). The tape's long since come off, but it has left some of the adhesive behind. Can anyone recommend a way of cleaning that off,

*without* removing the rather attractive patination on the jug? Gentle swabbing with some kind of solvent seems the best ...
Reply to
Huge

'Sticky stuff' remover?

It once seemed to be available only from bettaware or the like, but quite a few decent hardware stores seem to carry similar stuff nowadays. I'd be inclined to try a little on the bottom or inside the neck where you'll find out if the patination is affected.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Yes...use the non-volatile stuff which is essentially just an oil - usually orange or something.

Reply to
Bob Eager

paraffin dissolves a lot of things

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nail varnish remover or lighter fluid might be worth a try - usual disclaimer about trying it on a non-visible bit first of course.

Reply to
Lino expert

Or WD40...same warning applies

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .

Reply to
xpozure4u

Indeed. To get masking tape residue off wood, I tried everything and ended up using parafiin to get rid of the tape residue and then meths to clean off the paraffin residue. Worked a treat

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I've used WD40 to get sticky label glue off, works well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good idea! I have some eucalyptus oil here somewhere. Hell, olive oil will probably do.

Reply to
Huge