Cleaning CH system

I want to clean the cleaner out of the central heating system, but the recent changes to the system means that

1 The boiler has been changed from a floor mounted cast iron one.

2 The new boiler is mounted at head hight.

Because of 2 I can't now drain my downstairs radiators. Is it feasible to drain my system down, as far as possible. Should I remove and flush every radiator and flush it, or could I drain down and use two hose pipes and flush each rad with mains fed cold water, draining the dirty water down the drain?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Turn water off, drain down as far as you can, close both rad valves on one lower rad, drain that rad then take it off. then drain rest of system through rad valve, I've made a fitting to do this. when drained I take each rad off and flush with hose pipe until waters clear. Do each rad and refit, but whilst system is empty fit a drain off point for future at the lowest point. Add inhibitor before or whilst refilling. Be carefull not to get the black water on the carpet, cover up well.

Reply to
polly filler

Good advice I hadn't thought of doing it that way.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'd refill and redrain the system several times to remove all vestiges of the chemical cleaner.

Reply to
Mark

I'm surprised (2) wasn't also the case before (1).

Even for a floor standing boiler generally has pipes going up?

I have on a couple of occasions removed every radiator and give it a good flushing outside with a hose. A word of warning though, depending on the type of joint, don't damage it and place the end on a piece of wood. Not like I did and scored the mating face so it never sealed when I replaced the radiator!!

Reply to
Fredxx