Cleaning Belt Sander Thing

Hi,

I'm sure this one may give you a laugh but I bought a "belt sander cleaner" from screwfix and as usual it came with zero instructions.

Am I supposed to just rub the rubbery eraser thing over the belt whilst its stationary or am I meant to somehow clamp the sander/eraser and use it on a moving belt?

I've got a horrible feeling that the latter may cause me to go into orbit minus my hand and via the garage window!!!!!

I've tried searching tinternet but to no avail.

Thanks to anyone who replies

Graham

Reply to
Graham Mead

outofthewoods

Moving.

Best way is to hold it in your hand and rub it over a moving belt, so that you can see what you're doing. But this is somewhat hazardous, so many people clamp them into a vice and rub the sander over it.

They work pretty well, but only on half-dirty belts. Once the belt is properly clogged, they can't help - so use it frequently, before things get realy dire.

There are several similar rubbers that work too, including (allegedly) tightly rolled binliners. The sole of old (New Hampshire) Timberland boots works too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I used the handle of an old screwdriver for a long time.

I find the Axminster version good at removing clogging no matter how heavy the clogging is, but once the abrasive is worn then its good night Eileen

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I'll try it tonight, hopefully emerging with a rejuvenated belt and all my limbs intact.

Reply to
Graham Mead

sander/eraser

My belt sander scares me when i'm sanding something, let alone holding a cleaning block to it with my hand. Reminds me of people losing fingers in motorcycle chains when oiling them with the engine going.

I'll stick to replacing themn when the oxide's worn off !

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy