Cleaning Alkaline Battery leakage

Small torch forgotten in a rucksack, has had a leakage from an Alkaline battery. Is there any easily available household chemical that I am best using to flush the torch out with. Thanks.

Reply to
john east

"john east" wrote in news:j3r2nf$iak$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Since you say "flush", it sounds like it went all over the place.

If so, take it apart, wash everything in warm water with some Ajax and scrub with soft brush. It's OK to get everything wet as long as you let it dry before reassembling.

Some metal parts which suffered slight corrosion may need some gentle filing or at least a q-tip dipped in alcohol or industrial electronics cleaning spray.

Reply to
thanatoid

Buy a new one.

Reply to
richard

john east writes and having writ moves on.

Try vinegar and baking soda.

Mike "your torch has poison ivy" Yetto

Reply to
Mike Yetto

Probably easier to buy new torch. Make sure to bag and mark the old one hazardous waste though .. grin. Actually, I have a strip light torch that had some problems from this and could not find out how to get it to bits!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I took one apart and washed it in hot water to remove the cr@p left from alkaline batteries leaking. Its not as bad as the acid that leaks from cheap batteries.

Reply to
dennis

john east wrote on Sep 2, 2011:

The electrolyte in alkaline batteries is potassium hydroxide which is a very corrosive alkaline (like caustic soda - sodium hydroxide). Presumably a mild acid such as vinegar or citric acid would be best to flush it out with.

Reply to
Mike Lane

I agree and use lemon juice then cotton buds soaked with electrical solvent.

Reply to
John Bryan

responding to

Jasprt2 wrote: Ajax is a bit harsh. (thus the corrosion warning) You will get a good result using baking soda instead. It neutralizes the acid and also breaks the adhesion of its residue. You can use it on car battery terminals as well.

J.

john east wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Jasprt2

Jasprt2 writes and having writ moves on.

Alkaline batteries are not acid based so an acid should be added to the baking soda to a mildly acidic buffer solution. White vinegar should do nicely.

Mike "has the OP tried anything yet?" Yetto

Reply to
Mike Yetto

I think the clue is in the name.

Reply to