Cleaning a white leather suite

We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with leather cleaning and conditioning products?

Jo

Reply to
Jo

Haven't used this product but I know that Lakeland sell a set of cleaner and hide food stuff . have a look at their website . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I've cleaned my old leather suite with washing up liquid or jif/cif and never had any problems but then again it wasn't white.

Reply to
adder1969

While the suite is still under guarantee, you should only use products that are recommended or supplied by whoever made or sold you the suite. That is to ensure that you stay within the terns of the warranty. After that expires, you have a little more freedom.

Personally, I am all for using traditional leather care products that have stood the test of time. For cleaning, use saddle soap. For conditioning and protection, use a pure neatsfoot oil.

I have used these products on leather upholstery in the home and my car (and on leather clothing) for the last 30+ years, and they keep the leather soft, supple and clean. Over a period of time, a periodic application of neatsfoot oil will make almost all leathers (except the very cheapest) beautifully soft.

Avoid neatsfoot oil that has been diluted with solvents or mixed with mineral oils, because those additives can cause deterioration of the leather that may not be reversible.

Reply to
Tony Polson

column at the bottom; Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner.

Prochem stuff is the mutts nuts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote

It says that the Case Qty is 10.

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

You could try

experience with them so not a recommendation.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

No care instructions on a sewn-in label ?

The one on my suite specifically advises against using any leather "food". Don't know why - it's recommended for my car seats.

I use a solution of pure soap (Lux or similar) and a clean cloth to lift the dirt, then a quick wipe-over with clean water, then dry with a towel. If I chose to use a conditioner, I would wait until the leather was completely dry - most are very "oily" and emulsify when they hit a trace of water.

-- "If idiots could fly, this would be an airport."

Reply to
John Laird

That's if you buy it direct as a stockist. Check Yellow Pages under Janitorial Supplies for a local outlet. Virtually all Jani outlets stock Prochem and will happily sell a single bottle.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OTOH, saddle soap is used for saddles, where mechanical wear and tear is high and continued function is seen as more important than appearance. If you're worried about appearance, then it can be a bad choice -- in particular, any water-based treatment is likely to darken non-dyed leathers. (my background is from museum curation, not upholstery).

White leather is quite easy to look after, in comparison. As raw leather is anything but white, the surface you're looking at is more like paint than leather itself. The hardest to care for is something like a traditional "natural" Chesterfield, where the surface material is very exposed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's why His Noodliness gave us eBay and uk.d-i-y

Reply to
Andy Dingley