Cleaning a slip stone

I have a slip stone that I inherited from my father and have now found a use for it - taking the burr off the inside of gouges after sharpening. The trouble is that the stone is dirty and is not effective. The dirt is black and shiny against the brown of the stone.

Any suggestions ? Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Scrub it clean with wire wool and a solvent ?

Reply to
Steve Walker

About all you can do. If it has been oiled, masses of soap and water will do little.

White spirit, even petrol should clean it.

Reply to
ericp

IME ammonia is the best solvent for built-up or impacted oil or grease. The actual strength of the solution isn't critical around 50/50 seems to work fine. One of the few places you can still buy it neat is Homebase - around £2 a small bottle. It stinks to high heaven but will last for ages. Soak the slip overnight in that solution and it should come up fine without too much abrasion. Many window cleaners are rumoured to contain ammonia - ammonia is supposedly a magic cure for clogged Epson printers which is why I originally bought some - but its not explicitly stated on the label.

michael adams

michael adams

Many thanks guys - as always this group comes up with the required guidance.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You've probably got your answer by now, but...

I inherited one too. I cleaned it by boiling it in water with a drop of washing up liquid. Took a couple of goes but its like new. Probably best to bring it to boil slowly to avoid any stresses and possible cracks. Mine is natural stone, not sure how some of the artificial ones might react to boiling.

Reply to
Simon C.

I was thinking dishwasher, but I dont know if some aren't stone.

NT

Reply to
NT

I used some petrol and steel wool and that seems to have brought it up nicely. Fortunately the muck was on the surface and not through to stone as I feared.

Thanks for all the suggestion Rob

Reply to
robgraham