Clay drain pipe cutting.

Whilst re-designing the patio at the weekend the sledgehammer got a little to close to the 90deg bend from the down pipe. The result is a crack (hole) ((now leaking)) in the clay 90deg bend. oops! Now the downpipe is plastic and the foul drain is clay so I need to replace the bend which means cuting through the clay pipe and using an adapter - so far so good. How do I cut through the clay pipe cleanly without breaking/shattering it? It must be 50+ years old. Any tips ? Angle grinder came to mind but that means digging a heafty hole round the pipe.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Tim
tzd3sw wrote:

You got it - 9" angle grinder with a stone cutting disk. But you're right, it does mean digging a hole around the pipe.
--
Grunff

I used a 9inch grinder, found that I got a much cleaner cut with a diamond blade. You could use a ratchet cutter but I suspect that would mean an even bigger hole.
John Woodhall wrote:

Not to mention playing a game of "chase the pipe" every time the ratchet cutter makes a balls up of the 50 year old salt glaze pipe and shatters it so you have to dig a bit further so you can trim another bit off!
--
Cheers,

John.

I used an abrasive wire blade which you get on those tile saws for cutting curves. For about 3 I fitted the blade in my hacksaw and cut the pipe reasonable quickly. I didn't need too much of a hole under the pipe.