Claening a laptop fan - Dell Inspiron 1764

Good work. You may find that there are bags of appropriate screws for that model available on eBay, although the exact level of appropriateness is unknown until you try to use them. My dad does laptop refettling sometimes, and says it's about 50-50 whether you get the right stuff.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

In message , Jaimie Vandenbergh writes

Read, and learn.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I've tried it, and it's shit at being a lubricant for more than a very short time. Plus it's inappropriate for throwing into a laptop which is where the discussion was centred.

But, y'know, score one pedant point to you.

You might want to spend it on your composition skills, but only if you wanted to sound less jerky on the internet.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

In message , Jaimie Vandenbergh writes

Because I couldn't find my 3-in-1, I used WD40 as a stop-gap to lubricate the bearings of a totally seized computer PSU fan. It was still turning two years later (when I eventually found the 3-in-1!).

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop (or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.

Reply to
Ian Jackson
[...]

You missed out helping to start reluctant diesels...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That would be rather over-gilding the lily.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

ITYM; "That would be gilding the lily." (or perhaps you were going to use the expression "Over-egg the Pudding" and changed your mind halfway through.

Reply to
Johny B Good

In message , Johny B Good writes

No - that is not what I mean. I said what I meant to say. WD40 is good - but it's not perfect in all respects. Nevertheless, it's pretty good - and I wouldn't be without it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In article , Jaimie Vandenbergh writes

I thought it was w_tom for a moment.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

He's got a distinct posting style all of his own (one that's rather confusing and hard to follow) but he seems to be posting under the name "westom" in uk.d-i-y at the moment.

Reply to
Johny B Good