cistern repair/replacement

Mother in laws toilet cistern is a slimline pastic non close coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago. The parts you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull on the siphon snapped in half. I'm assuming I wont find a spare? but a quick tour of the DIY sheds hasnt unearthed a repacement cistern but Google finds

which is probably the sort of thing i'll have to get, does anyone know a good stockist of this kind of seperate non suiite cistern (I'm in SE LOndon BTW)?

(BTW Google "miserable failure" or "failure" for a modest amusement)

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

seems may not work anymore, Republicans are setting counter links to Michael Moore?

Anyway the cistern is more interesting, it needs to be 4 inches or less deep, I'm sure I saw one in the past, cant think where.

Reply to
The Reid

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem. You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers merchants. NOT B&Q/ Plumcenter/etc

-
Reply to
Mark

This is usually a 'C' hook like these

13706 about halfway down the page.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

"non close coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago"

you've never looked inside one of these then ?

-
Reply to
Mark

Following up to Mark

cheers, I'll get searching!

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Mark

that sounds a good description, the broken part is not the C hook, is a rocker lever that converts the downward force of the plunger into an upward force on the c hook. (plastic or nylon)

do keen DIYers open up and cistern when they pay a visit? :-)

Reply to
The Reid

I have, its just that I can't read properly :-)

Reply to
david lang

had the same proba few years ago. I think the rocker arm goes brittle with age.

Ended up replacing the cistern in the end :(

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Following up to The Reid

found a proper plumbers merchant and they had a little kit of spares, £8, job done!

Reply to
The Reid

good not only have you had the satisfaction of repairing something, but you have done your bit to reduce landfill and global warming. :-)

-
Reply to
Mark