Cistern nut problem

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=/58c6re2&.dnm=263ere2.jpg&.src=ph

Please can someone have a look at this plastic nut it is part of my toilet system seems to secure the flush handle from the inside of the cistern. its cracked unfortunately making the flush handle loose.

Can I purchase a simple replacement part?

Any advice on how you would tackle this problem will help I'm sure.

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=/58c6re2&.dnm=263ere2.jpg&.src=ph

It looks like the size of a standard brass pipe nut. To put a new nut on you'll have to undo the lever inside, so why not take the threaded part into a hardware or plumbing shop and get a brass one that fits. The old plastic one broke so another plastic one probably will too. You could attach a piece of wire to that hook in the inside so that people can flush while you're out shopping.

Reply to
Nick

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=/58c6re2&.dnm=263ere2.jpg&.src=ph

Agreed.

Your photo is not wonderfully clear(!) but there's probably a square shaft going through the middle, with a lever on the end which is connected to the syphon. There should be a grub screw to undo to allow the lever to be slid off the end of the shaft - then the handle and shaft, complete with the plastic housing, can all be removed.

The thread on the plastic housing is almost certainly 3/4" BSP (which is actually just over one inch in diameter) - so you need a 3/4" BSP flanged nut - preferably in brass.

You can get one from any good plumbers merchant - but take the handle assembly with you to make sure it fits.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You didn't look at the previous two photos did you :) The first one shows more of the handle and shaft. Also a piece of finger :)

Counting down, 4 days to go before New Zealand's biggest ISP stops hosting Usenet, then I'll be gone :(

Reply to
Nick

We'll see you posting from diybanter then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Possibly, now that I've heard of it :)

Reply to
Nick

Didn't realise there were any others! No 1 is the best - but still not very sharp!

But the important thing is - did you manage to get the right nut to fix it?

Then get yourself an account with News.International.Net PDQ - only 10 Euros per annum!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Get an account with news.individual.net if all you want is text.

Reply to
Rob Morley