Cistern goes bump in the night

My cistern (not sure if it is the WC or the water tank in the loft) is making a banging noise during the night. Central heating is turned off, no taps are drawing water, WC has not been flushed, washing machine is off. Whats happening? And why does this only happen at night? I can't understand it...no water is being drawn.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Could be pressure fluctuations in the mains. Try turning the water off at the main stoptap before you go to bed, and see whether that fixes it. If it still does it with the water turned off, it would suggest that the banging isn't coming from the cold water system.

Reply to
Set Square

One-off bang or continuous? Could be related to water pressure being higher at night. Might even be water hammer from neighbours' house transmitted via pipework and audible in yours.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Happens fairly regularily several times each night. I am in a 1920s mid terrace and looking at the pipe work I may even be connected to the neighbours...not sure though!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Suggest you try what setsquare suggested: turn off your rising main stopcock at night - but also let water out of your rising main by opening the cold tap in the kitchen and running off some hot or cold water upstairs or flushing the upsatirs wc until you get another flow of water out of the kitchen tap for a few seconds (the water in the rising main pipework itself) - and see if you get the same intensity of noise. If it's transmitted by the pipework from outside your house you may still get some noise but with no water in your rising main pipe it should be much less. If the noise is being transmitted by this route I'd guess there's steel or iron pipework between both your and whichever neighbour's house and the main iteslf, or there's a shared main serving your house and [an]other[s], or someone's got a massive water hammer problem!

To fix the problem either replace some of your incoming mains pipework with plastic (e.g. Hep2O) or arrange a little dead-end vertical section of pipe connected to the main or use a proper surge or hammer arrestor (can't rememebr what they're called - BES do them IIRC)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Part no. 11355 on the expansion vessels page.

£10.16 exc.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to