Cistern Coupling Rubber Doughnut Thingy .

Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on Freecycle and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when I flush the cistern there is a little water comes from the seal area below the cistern and drips on to the floor . I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement cistern coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around it's inlet so I have removed that but was wondering if the silicone is necessary to ensure a complete seal. Can anyone offer an opinion .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Regarding the pipe that carries water from the cistern to the back of the toilet bowl, in my experience both ends need sealant to get a water-tight joint.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

If this is a close-coupled system, then you need only a new Doughnut seal -- they rarely work when reused as they will have taken on a fixed shape in their previous life. No silicone required there.

I have sometimes had to use silicone where pipework goes through the cistern and the nuts/washers won't seal because the porcelain surface around the hole isn't flat/smooth.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's not a good idea to re-use the doughnut seals. They get deformed when fitted, and are unlikely to seal properly when re-fitted. They're fairly cheap to replace, and there's no need to use any sealant on a new one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Cheers Roger and Andrew ....

Ah ..That'll be the problem then..re-using the seal on the replacement pan.. The new one will be coming tomorrow so that should sort it .

thx again.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart